UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Re: Aurora 8b/10b Example

The example code generated when you right click on the IP , is just for simulation and demosration of how the IP works.

There should be a tech ref design ( TRD ) for the board,, hunt that down if you dont have it already, and that will work out the box on your board,

Its often ( always ) easier to modify a working board file rather than start from zero,

that way you cna make small chnages and go back when it stops working.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
11 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Aurora 8b/10b Example

Hello, I'm a newbie here with Vivado and the 8b/10b IP Core. I'm reading on page 33 of the LogiCORE IP Aurora 8b/10b v8.3 and it talks about "example_design" and that first-time users should use this template. Where is this example design?  

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

In vivado, once you have created and generated the IP,
right click on the ip generated ( XCI file ? )
and you get option to generate example design,

accept and a new instance of vivado will open with the example design, and the path shown at the top of the GUI.

BTW: hope you speak Verilog, as Xilinx dropped support for VHDL, so unless you do speak Verilog ,the example is useless,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Voyager
Voyager

Hello, I got the example generated as your said thank you. Can I run that on the ZCU106 board?

Joe

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @joe306 

ZCU106_Aurora_Loopback.png  

Yes, it is possible, but you will need to set the correct pin assignment to your design.

- If your example design is one lane :
  Please use Bank225. You can use SMA cables for one-lane loopback test.
  I would suggest you to start with one lane.

- If your example design is multiple lanes : you can use Bank226 or Bank227. You need additional board to connect Aurora TX to RX lanes.
  Probably something like this XM107 board (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/ug539.pdf) can fit your test usecase.

XM107.png

Thanks & regards
Leo

Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

The generated file is for simulatoin and information only,

its not aimed at your board, its to demonstrate ( if you read verilog ) how to use the IP,

Voyager
Voyager

Leo,

Hello, thank you for responding to my message. I am very exciting to try this out. I have a SFP+ transceiver that I would like to try this out on. Right now I'm try to read over all the verilog files and see how things fit together. Quick question for you, I see in the code they they instantiate a IBUFDS_GT4, I'm planning on doing everything in the the IP Integrator Block design so is that available from the IP Catalog?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hello, I'm a little confused, if I go to the Project Manager Setttings I see:

board.jpg

It shows the board that I am using. Is this not correct, I won't be able to run this example on this board? I was thinking to test out the SFP+ interface using a fiber transceiver (FTLF1326P3BTL). I understand that I still need to connect the IP TX/RX differential pairs to the SPF+ pins as described on page 81 of the ZCU106 Evaluation Board. I'm a newbie with the Xilinx tools so I may not be quick to understand how things are fitting together. I like using the IP Integrator Block Design to see things. 

I was hoping I could get things working, does this sound possible? 

Very Respectfully,

Joe

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Great! I'm off to looking for "tech ref design" ( TRD ) for the board?

Thank you,
Joe

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hello, quick question for the forum gurus. I going through the example design and I see in the Synthsis Schematic the following block:

traffic.frame_gen_ll_to_axi_pdu_i

traffic.frame_gen_i

traffic.frame_chk_axi_to_ll_pdu_i

Are these additional IP available from the IP Catalog or are they are of the Aurora 8b/10b IP?

I looked in the IP Catalog and I don't find LL_TO_AXI or AXI_TO_LL.

I ask because I will be using the IP Integrator Block Design to place the Aurora IP and I wasn't sure what other blocks I need to add to the design.

Thank you,

Joe

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hello, another question from a newbie learning Vivado. I again looking at the Aurora 8b/10b example, I'm looking at the Synthesis Schematic:

IBUFDS.jpg

I've only done a little work in Vivado, particularly in the Block Design Tool. I have a question about IBUFDS. I understand it converts the differential pairs to signal ended but I don't see that in the IP Catalog. It is inferred from the constraints file in which you define the diff pairs?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hello, would it be possible to map the TX and RX diff pairs of the design to the diff pairs on the SFP+ and also map the appropriate clocks to the design? Seems like I only need to do some pin assignments and I should have things ready to try the design on the board.

Comments?

0 Kudos