Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yj
Contributor
Contributor

SPARTAN 7 - DSP IP

Jump to solution

Hi,

For my DSP related project using FFT's and filters etc.(Don't have exact spec yet).

The spartan 7 FPGA seems a perfect choice with good DSP slices, but 

WHY aren't there any DSP IP's for spartan 7?

AM I missing something?

Should I look into ARTIX or Spartan 6 rather?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

You should be able to use any 7-series IP with a Spartan7 as long as the IP does not require a gigabit transceiver.  The Spartan7 doesn't have those.  I've used a Spartan7 with the CIC filter, FIR Compiler and DDS with no problems.  Still, if your specs are undefined and you intend to use some larger IP such as the FFT, the Artix may be a better choice.  You could target the Artix 200 and write some preliminary code to see if it fits.  If so, the AC701 board will have that chip and provide a lot of peripherals for connectivity.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Can you expand on the comme t

"WHY are there any DSP IP's for spartan 7"

Why do you say there is no spartan 7 DSP IP ?

Regarding your wider comment about what chips to look at 

Generally speaking ,the Spartan 7 is IMHO "the odd boy of the Xilinx tree", 

Although **bleep** a "7" series, compared to the rest of the series, its very poorly supported and promoted.

It almost as if Xilinx did not want to really make it,

The main stream is as you have seen the Artix / Kintex ranges,

Personally , Id not be looking at the Spartan 7.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

You should be able to use any 7-series IP with a Spartan7 as long as the IP does not require a gigabit transceiver.  The Spartan7 doesn't have those.  I've used a Spartan7 with the CIC filter, FIR Compiler and DDS with no problems.  Still, if your specs are undefined and you intend to use some larger IP such as the FFT, the Artix may be a better choice.  You could target the Artix 200 and write some preliminary code to see if it fits.  If so, the AC701 board will have that chip and provide a lot of peripherals for connectivity.

View solution in original post

yj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

<<  Can you expand on the comment

"WHY are there any DSP IP's for spartan 7"

Why do you say there is no spartan 7 DSP IP ?  >>

Corrected my grammar there. (changed from are to aren't). I observe that there aren't any DSP IP or classic DSP IP reading from the IP search page.

Thanks for the info  

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

No problem

my gramma and spelling is %^&*(

Re the spartan 7 and DSP

https://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/spartan-7.html#productTable

You see the Spartan 7 does have DSP blocks in it,

just not very many compared to other chip in the 7 series.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos