Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srv
Visitor
Visitor

Saving the contents of BRAM to a file

I am using Xilinx ISE 10.1 synthesizer. 

-I am able to initialize my BRAM with a .coe file and access it. Also I can update it with new .mem file using data2mem tool and update my bit file. Here I have configured it as ROM.

-My problem is, I don't know how to store the BRAM contents to a file. I am using Single port block memory from the core generator. I am configuring it as RAM. I want to write data to it and access it later.

-I didn't find any relevant post stating this. May be its only me who didnt find a way to save the contents to a file.

For example, in Altera in-system memory content editor, there is an option to export the data to a file. Is there any such way in Xilinx or some way to do it with data2mem tool.

-I can send the memory content to PC using serial port but that's not my concern right now. I am really looking for some way to store the content to a file (probably a .mem file) and use it in MATLAB.

So, please can anyone explain it to me or point a document or some link.

I have studied the relevant documentation but it didn't strike my mind.

Any kind of suggestion would be highly appreciated. Also, tell me if I am thinking in a wrong way.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
srv
Visitor
Visitor

please help me out.....I feel exhausted in searching...
0 Kudos
viviany
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This is not the right place to ask this question. I'll move your message to "System Logic" board. Hope you'll get the answer there.

Thanks.

Vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
rcingham
Teacher
Teacher

"I don't know how to store the BRAM contents to a file."

At which point in the design/test process are you trying to do this? While you are running the design in hardware?

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
srv
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for the reply....

-I am synthesizing my code on fpga boards equipped  with Virtex II FPGAs, bg575 package.

-I am storing the input data for my filter chain on BRAM. I tested it with few data and it worked and I can also update it.

-I wish to write my output data again to the same BRAM or a different one. At this point, I didnt find explicity the way to store the data written to the BRAM to a file (and i suppose it should be .mem file)

- I have seen in the data2mem documentation that I can produce a .mem file as output by giving the .elf file and .bmm file as input. But I dont see any .elf file generated because I am only using the .bit file to program the FPGA. I suppose that .elf file is produced when we are using some processor core and writing some firmware to activate it.

-I have seen the following lines in the data2mem documentation and I didnot fully understand it

An OUTPUT keyword can be used for outputting memory device MEM files. This takes the
form of:
top/ram_cntlr/ram0 [7:0] OUTPUT = ram0.mem;

- Is this going to help me write the BRAM contents to mem file.?

- I am attaching the example .bmm file, here I can understand that the placement locations are given but I didnt understand the way, the output keyword is used and the how this is going to give me the mem file as output.

example_bmm_file.bmp
0 Kudos
srv
Visitor
Visitor

will some one point out if i am trying to do it in the right way....please......
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
rcingham
Teacher
Teacher

I am still struggling to understand your use case. When you say "I am storing the input data for my filter chain on BRAM. I tested it with few data and it worked and I can also update it", is that 'live' data input via your board into the FPGA on the board?

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
srv
Visitor
Visitor

Its not live data but I am initializing the BRAM with my data

I am using the data in my design by instatiating the memory in my code.

Now my interest is to write the output to BRAM

I am trying for some way to get the contents of this BRAM to my pc not by serial interface but possibly through jtag interface

0 Kudos