cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arotenst
Explorer
Explorer

Vivado complains that xlconcat input pins are connected to different type of pins

Hello,

I use 32-bit wide xlconcat block in BD. Vivado (2018.3) is complaining that xlconcat input pins are connected to different type of pins, which is not right. I thought that just replacing the xlconcat block fixed the problem (it did once), but later it turned out that it was not a solution. Any ideas why this is happening?

I have attached the snap shots of the error messages.  

Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @arotenst ,

You can confirm if there is really mismatch using below command (Assuming name of Concat bd cell is xlconcat_0) -

get_property TYPE [get_bd_pins -filter {DIR == I} /xlconcat_0/*]

This will report TYPE of all input pins of xlconcat_0 BD cell. Compare this will TYPE of output pins (of other cells) which are connected to these inputs.

If this doesn't sort problem out and if you don't have any custom IPs or module references in your block design, then you can share output script after using command : write_bd_tcl -no_ip_version recreateBD.tcl

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
arotenst
Explorer
Explorer

Hello Ashish,

Thank you for your notes. A week ago I was able to "fix" it by just replacing the xlconcat (delete and add). That helped then. Now it does not work. Trying to find the troubling inputs I had to connect all of them to Constant. The error during design validation still persisted. It looks like a bug.

Anyway, I will follow your suggestions and update the post. May be tomorrow.

Thank you.   

0 Kudos
arotenst
Explorer
Explorer

Hello Ashish,

I added a new xlconcat and make all connections. The result of

get_property TYPE [get_bd_pins -filter {DIR == I} /xlconcat_0/*]

is 32 undefs:

undef undef undef undef undef undef undef undef ...

What does that mean?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
arotenst
Explorer
Explorer

One more thing. After running the command      get_property TYPE [get_bd_pins -filter {DIR == I} /xlconcat_0/*]

I noticed that the unused input pins (connected to Constant) become 32-bit wide. I have attached the snap shots. What is going on with Vivado?

0 Kudos
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @arotenst ,

It would be helpful if you can share output script generated using command mentioned in my earlier email (make sure there are no module references and custom IPs in your block design).

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
arotenst
Explorer
Explorer

I am not sure I understood. In my block design I have 3 big custom IPs. They have almost ten outputs total connected to different inputs of xlconcat. When I tried to debug I had a situation when I had just a single connection from Xilinx UART IP connected to xlconcat input, while the rest inputs were connected to Constant. 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @arotenst ,

In that case even if you share the script, I won't be able to recreate block design unless I've repositories for 3 custom IPs. Better approach would be checking TYPE property of input pins of xlconcat IPs with TYPE property of output pins of custom IPs where connection is established. TYPE property can have values like clk, rst, undef based on pin type. 

If you want me to have a look at block design, then you've two options -

1. Share the repositories of your custom IPs along with script generated using command I mentioned earlier

2. Try reproducing the issue with only Xilinx IPs and then share the script generated using same command

Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos
arotenst
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Ashish,

I had the problem even when I replaced xlconcat and connect all inputs to the constant. It should not happen. I looks like a bug.

Anyway, I had to replace the Xilinx block with my custom IP. 

0 Kudos
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @arotenst ,

In order to debug it further and report it as a bug (if it really is), I need test design with which I should be able to recreate this issue.

It would be helpful if you can share it using either of methods stated in my earlier reply.

Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos