Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k.e.elsayed
Visitor
Visitor

change in coe file

Jump to solution
I have a question about xilinx ise memory IP cores.
I use a .coe file to initialize the contents of the memory by selecting it during the IP core generator wizard, When i change the contents of the .coe file I have to re-generate the core for the changes to take effect which is a time consuming process, is there another way ?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

In simulation you can hand edit the .mif file which is a binary file generated by .coe file and will be available in IP_core directory, in hardware you can go for data2mem conecept details of which are explained in the  below pdf.

http://www.xilinx.com/Attachment/Xilinx_Answer_46945_Data2Mem_Usage_and_Debugging_Guide.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vanitha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
6 Replies
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

In simulation you can hand edit the .mif file which is a binary file generated by .coe file and will be available in IP_core directory, in hardware you can go for data2mem conecept details of which are explained in the  below pdf.

http://www.xilinx.com/Attachment/Xilinx_Answer_46945_Data2Mem_Usage_and_Debugging_Guide.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vanitha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
k.e.elsayed
Visitor
Visitor

That worked 
Thank you

0 Kudos
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
The manual modification expected to work however not recommended to use. The reason is when you regenerate the core it will again update the mif file. I think better way to change the coe file and regenerate the core again. Hope it will help
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
emmettbradford
Explorer
Explorer

I generated a true dual port 16-1024 RAM.

I initialized with a COE.

A MIF was generated correctly.

Now changes to the COE do not update the MIF.

When I try to re-generate the core, it says all output products are up to date.

How do I effect the COE changes to the MIF and the core?

I am using Vivado 2016.2, on Win 10 64bit.

blk_mem_gen_v8_3_3

Thanks,

Emmett

0 Kudos
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
you can reset the output product and regenerate the core . right click on core name --> reset output products

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
emmettbradford
Explorer
Explorer

That worked.

Thanks.

0 Kudos