Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

trying to understand the IP AXI UART example

Jump to solution

Hi, I am using Vivado 2019.2. I wanted to use a UARTLite in my in-development Microblaze on Spartan-7 design. Can I do that? 

I tried to synthesize/simulate the IP AXI UART example design, which is pretty straightforward process. But when I simulated it, I got a flatline for TX and RX. And saw simulation error message:

[VRFC 10-3091] actual bit length 1 differs from formal bit length 4 for port 'wea' ["c:/wrk/2019.sub/2019.2.1/continuous/2019_12_05_2729669/packages/customer/vivado/data/ip/xilinx/axi_traffic_gen_v3_0/hdl/axi_traffic_gen_v3_0_rfs.v":13456]

So, did I miss a step? I guess I was hoping to see in the simulation, some sort of ascii char string being sent by the traffic generator out the TX port? Like "A" as mentioned in Implementing the Example Design,  Chapter 5, p. 19? 

Any clear tutorial/step by step would be appreciated. I am intending to bolt on the UARTLite to a Microblaze processor for implementation on a Spartan-7 #15 FPGA. Would this be possible? 

Capture.JPG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer
Observer
closing out as the MicroBlaze MCS fixed design has a lot of what I need.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi, if any one has a bit of additional time, could you look at the attached basic microblaze block diagram please? I simply generated what I thought would be useful blocks (basic MCU, basic I/O, basic UART) and want to know if I am heading in the right direction to make an equivalent of a basic MCU with TX, RX and Logic I/O design..

1. Are the TX and RX pins in the UARTLite block supposed to be the direct connections out of the board and should be treated as TXD and RXD (say, TTL levels) ? That was what I wanted to see in the simulation problem posed above. 
  2. BTW, What is the typical use of the signal marked uart_rtl? I've still got many pages to go ... 

Thank you. 

Microblaze w UART block diagram.JPG
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer
closing out as the MicroBlaze MCS fixed design has a lot of what I need.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos