UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie widlarizer

Dynamic reconfiguration capabilities of Xilinx FPGAs

Hello everybody,

i'm trying to get started with my research on dynamic partial reconfiguration and therefore i would you to ask you, which FPGA would be a good starting point?

I've got a board from Xilinx with a Spartan 3A on it, but i'm not sure if this device does have the same dynamic partial reconfiguration possibilites like a Virtex 2(pro) does? Any recommendations?

Need some advice on that topic please!

Thanks in advance :-)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

Re: Dynamic reconfiguration capabilities of Xilinx FPGAs

Firstly, the following document is a good starting point on partial reconfiguration:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/ug702.pdf

If you are using this as reference, any device v4 or upwards will suffice. Check the "Introduction" section of chapter 1 to see the list of devices supported.
0 Kudos
Newbie widlarizer

Re: Dynamic reconfiguration capabilities of Xilinx FPGAs

Hello sampatd,

many thanks for your reply. I've just checked the mentioned document and noticed after reading chapter 1, that all devices smaller than the Virtex-4 are not listed.

But i've seen a whole bunch of papers in which the Virtex-2(pro) is used for dynamic partial reconfiguration and i'm just curious why it's not explecitely mentioned in this user guide.

Anyway, i'll switch to the v4 and have another try :-)

Beside that: is it possible to reconfigure dynamically the Spartan 3A by using the PCAP?

0 Kudos