Username

Password

Forgot your password?
XClose Panel
Xilinx Home
Visitor
purplehatlinux2003

Observing internal signals

I found that this question has been asked in the past, but didn't find an answer to it, so I will try once more.

Is there a way to observe internal signals (signals other than input/output ports. signals that are only visible inside entities) when running a behavioral simulation of a VHDL code? I vaguely remember being able to drag and drop or just add to the waveform when I was using ISE webpack 9.0 or 9.1 but with 10.1 there seems to be no  way to do that. I know I can do that if I use Modelsim, but I prefer using ISIM.

Thanks in advance.

Xilinx Employee
duthv

Re: Observing internal signals

Hi,

Anything other than a variable can be viewed in ISim. Variables are tricky as they are very dynamic. Within each scope they have a different value and so it makes it very hard to be able to track it down. If you have signals you can view this. Make sure you are on the correct scope and then look in the sim objects window. In there you can see all signals. If you want, there is also a drop down box where you can select internal signals.

Hope This Helps

Duth

Visitor
bugmenotter

Is it also possible to access internal signals from testbench code ?

For debugging, it would be really nice to have something like:

assert (my_component.subcomponent.subsubcomponent.bus = X"abcd")

christopher10

the same problem...just don't know how to check the internal signal in isim m8.1d which is associated with ise 12.4...anyone can tell me? all the signal appeared in the simulation objects window are just the input and output for the VHDL code , but not the internal signal ....i can just add internal signal in 10.1 version...but 12.4 seems no way to do it

christopher10

please tell me if anyone knows...and my email is xiangdahai1124wy@hotmail.com

Visitor
trounds

Here is one solution I used recently.  In the test bench file, at the beginning, declare a package with the signals you want to see.

-- Example

library ieee;

use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; -- make some internal signals visible to test benches

package testbench_view_package is

signal TB_SIG_I_WANT_TO_SEE             : std_logic;

--  add more signals

end package testbench_view_package;

Now the test bench can reference this as the name above.

Then in the module you want to test (aka UUT) add some code that transfers the internal signals to the new signal names.

-- Example

-- For simulation make some internal signals visible to the test bench so it can verify operation

TB_VISIBILITY : if SIM_ENB = TRUE generate

work.testbench_view_package.TB_SIG_I_WANT_TO_SEE  <= MY_INTERNAL_SIGNAL;

-- more signals to be made visible

end generate TB_VISIBILITY;

I'm using a boolean variable SIM_ENB to control whether this is generated or not.  In my design SIM_ENB is in another package with other defined constants, data types and any procedures/functions I want as globally usable.  It could also be a generic passed in from the test bench.

If anyone has some better suggestions please post for us all to see.

Visitor
gdwilliams

I am using ISim 14.1, and I'm also trying to view internal signals. I added them in the testbench file in the form: signal abc: std_logic := '0'.    They DO APPEAR in the waveform, but they never toggle. I know they are working, because I inserted them into a ChipScope cdc file and observed them. I also added more I/O signals that get a copy of the internal signal. Is there an option in ISim that I'm overlooking?