Password

Forgot your password?
XClose Panel
Xilinx Home
Expert Contributor
gszakacs
Accepted Solution

Why does the webpack issue license expiration warnings

I'm running ISE webpack 11.5 for a couple weeks and now I've started getting the warning:

WARNING:Security:42 - Your license support version '2010.04' for WebPack expires
in 9 days after which you will not qualify for Xilinx software updates or new
releases.

What's up with that?  I thought Webpack was free with a one year renewable license.

Is this security warning due to the other licenses on my machine or is is normal for

Webpack to issue security support expiration warnings?

Puzzled,

Gabor

-- Gabor
Xilinx Employee
barriet

Re: Why does the webpack issue license expiration warnings

Gabor,

It won't stop working - probably just a warning that's a little strongly worded.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33074.htm (11.x Licensing - "Warning:Security:42 - Your license support <DATE> expires in 30 days.")

You should be able to generate a new WebPACK license once 12.1 is released.

bt

Expert Contributor
gszakacs

So in other words, there is a "warranty period" in the webpack?  It certainly hasn't been a year since I downloaded

and licensed it.

-- Gabor
Xilinx Employee
barriet

In ISE 11, the expiration date for WebPACK licenses was not directly tied to when you downloaded and/or installed the tools or license. I believe the intent was that you would generate a new license for 12.1. It was also different from the Edition and IP licenses in some other respects - obviously with respect to cost but also the logistics of the 11 WebPACK license delivery.

It should keep working fine for 11.5 - you'll just generate a new one when 12.1 arrives (for those who may ask later, as an engineer, I don't post release dates).

Sorry for the confusion on the messaging.

bt

Regular Contributor
obparham

[ Edited ]

G,

See my WebPack expires... thread.

Bruce

Message Edited by obparham on 04-21-2010 06:30 AM
Visitor
dafydd

Sorry I cannot answer your question but you are not alone.

Same thing has happened to me. I now have no ISE! I have since then downloaded the  webpack 12,1and after 4 hours! I obtained a license - so I thought

Despite the message:-

Thank you for registering your ISE Design Suite product. The appropriate FLEXnet license key has been installed and the software is now ready for use.

NO IT ISN'T!  It does not work. The application still thinks I have no license. Grrrrrrr!:smileymad:

Lattice springs to mind!

Dafydd

Expert Contributor
gszakacs

That's too bad.  At least in ISE 11.5 Webpack the warning doesn't prevent you from using

the system.  Mine now reports that my license has expired, but I can still use WebPack.

I have not tried 12.1 yet.

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
Xilinx Employee
barriet

[ Edited ]

I'll admit I'm not the licensing expert, but there were some differences in how WebPACK gets/installed a license between 11.x and 12.1. That coupled with the license version limit might cause some confusion...

Here's what I would do:

-login in to http://www.xilinx.com/getlicense

-generate a license if you haven't already

-go to the Manage License tab and download it locally (e.g. desktop)

-logout

-then go to the local Xilinx license manager, xlcm.exe (Start -> Programs -> Xilinx ISE Design Suite 12.1 -> Manage Xilinx Licenses)

-"Manage Xilinx Licenses" tab, "Copy license..." button

-import the license you generated from the web

Good collection of common questions:

http://www.xilinx.com/tools/faq.htm (Licensing, Download & Installation FAQs)

bt

Visitor
dafydd

Thanks

Rather a round a bout way of obtaining the license but at least it seems to have worked. A bit like following road signs in Britain where the signs are missing on every other junction to give you a chance to get lost.

Why did the direct way fail despite the message saying that the software was now ready to use?It shouldn't be necessary to Google for help.

Dafydd

Xilinx Employee
barriet

Thanks for the update - glad to help.

There are really 3 components to the licensing

-Entitlement Center (http://www.xilinx.com/getlicense) used to manage Entitlements, generate licenses, etc.

-XLCM - local management of licenses installed

-other local tools (map, par, bitgen, XPS, etc.) that check out licenses.

The intent certainly was to make it easy to use. But there were changes in the way that XLCM handles the licenses, particularly with respect to WebPACK licenses, in 12.1. Apparently there are a few corner cases in the communication mechanisms yet. The work-around I provided was simply making sure all of the pieces get connected.

Please don't ask me to debate the merits of the licensing scheme - it was certainly not my idea. I use the same tools you do... ;)

bt