UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer robohall4545
Observer

SPARTAN 7

Jump to solution

Is it possible there is very little information or use of the Spartan 7 due to the fact they were the "not satisfactory" Artix 7 or Virtex 7 dye? for example transceivers , would this have an impact on the CLBs as a whole? I know this was in practice years ago..... I am struggling to find much use for it if it will work properly and just a small handful of uses on the world wide web... 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: SPARTAN 7

Jump to solution

Robohall4545,

Is it possible there is very little information or use of the Spartan 7 due to the fact they were the "not satisfactory" Artix 7 or Virtex 7 dye?

-Say what? Where are you getting this from? It's the same 28nm fabric. Did you try comparing the performance specs from the spartan-7 and artix-7 data sheets? They're literally identical aside from -3 speed grade option available for Artix-7. Even the CLB switching characteristics.

for example transceivers , would this have an impact on the CLBs as a whole?

-No... The whole point of this product family is "Cost Optimized" fancy way of saying "Cheap" in marketing terms but take it for what it is. It's cheap because it doesn't have expensive parts on it, like the transceivers... Removing the transceivers literally halves the cost of an Artix-7 in relatively same footprint size. Not all customers need transceivers... especially those that are still content with DDR3 speeds. Also in addition to the cost the package size and power reduction benefits of this move are highly desired by the customers in these markets.

Maybe a quick read of this White Paper will help:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp483-spartan-7-intro.pdf

Regards,

T

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
8 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

I can assure you , from my perspective, the spartan 7 is a high production part, used a lot,

what information do you require that's not available ?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Robohall4545,

Is it possible there is very little information or use of the Spartan 7 due to the fact they were the "not satisfactory" Artix 7 or Virtex 7 dye?

-Say what? Where are you getting this from? It's the same 28nm fabric. Did you try comparing the performance specs from the spartan-7 and artix-7 data sheets? They're literally identical aside from -3 speed grade option available for Artix-7. Even the CLB switching characteristics.

for example transceivers , would this have an impact on the CLBs as a whole?

-No... The whole point of this product family is "Cost Optimized" fancy way of saying "Cheap" in marketing terms but take it for what it is. It's cheap because it doesn't have expensive parts on it, like the transceivers... Removing the transceivers literally halves the cost of an Artix-7 in relatively same footprint size. Not all customers need transceivers... especially those that are still content with DDR3 speeds. Also in addition to the cost the package size and power reduction benefits of this move are highly desired by the customers in these markets.

Maybe a quick read of this White Paper will help:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp483-spartan-7-intro.pdf

Regards,

T

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Observer robohall4545
Observer

Jump to solution

ok just curious if the Spartan 7 will be around very long and supported.... just wondering if it is possible some of the virtex 7 that had faults in areas that the spartan 7 doesn't require still being sold as a Spartan 7 and not a virtix -7 ..... if they are all tested and pass then great but I would like confirmation the quality control and fault detect is equally done across the board and not adjusted for quicker production"cutting Corner to save time"..... and if I purchase the Spartan 7 I can have confidence in its quality and it is something xilinx believes will be around for a while.. 

0 Kudos
Observer robohall4545
Observer

Jump to solution

correction artix-7  not virtex 

0 Kudos
Participant kenkovaa
Participant

Jump to solution

It is quite common to share dies between FPGA families and/or different FPGA sizes. Part of the chip cost is testing in die testers, and if you can omit for example serdes testing which takes time you save a lot of money. Also yield can be improved by using redundant structures in the fabric (adjustments on chip size). Spartan7 also has a different package substrate design compared to Artix7 as it does not need to support the SI for very high speed serdes signals (via structure is different).

All 7-series chips share the same reliability/quality characteristics. And thinking about past ~20 years, the low-cost FPGA variants have had the longest lifetimes and the high-end chips get EOL earlier. 

--Kim

0 Kudos
Observer robohall4545
Observer

Jump to solution
Thanks that is what I was trying to say .... I know obscurity is key to IP and design ... which seems to be the case with the Spartan 7 I can’t not find 1 example of it being used in production on Xilinx webpage ... all 7 serie expect the spartan 7 have over 5 example of customers successful deployment of the FPGA... So is it that the Spartan 7 is typical used in black boxes or is it just not in high demand? I do see the Automotive use of the XA but the XC is literally a FPGA fabric and I/O that it is open to whatever the customer wants with added on PMODs... it is the arduino of the 7series that is my conclusion.... it is a black box product... but I will stop with the questions thanks you
0 Kudos
Observer robohall4545
Observer

Jump to solution
The purpose is to get information out available for others who are looking to purchase a 7 series FPGA... I bought mine 3 months ago and I regret it but I couldn’t find anyone talking about it or using it .. in hindsight I would have purchased the artix-7 which has more information available and has more support.... maybe someone can use this to help them understand if you aren’t purchasing a large amount then the Spartan 7 isn’t in my opinion the FPGA to get.... if you need a lot and money becomes a factor you probably are an expert and didn’t need any information from a forum.... so this is more for the little guys who need 1 FPGA to create something they need I would say the ARTIX-7 NEEDS to be taken into consideration first then move up or down .... but I am using the Spartan 7 on the ARTY board for developing a green house agriculture automation system... which my ignorance of all this shows because I will never use 1/4 of the logic and DSP and it simply won’t work because the system isn’t enclosed it is open and spread out there are big airgaps .. now I have no idea what to do with it because I don’t know what it can do outside of the 3 things listed.. So I am stuck and wish I would have found a post that described thier experience good or bad of the FPGA ... All I can do with it is practice programming it so I hope if you are looking to buy one really look into what you need and what the FPGA is used for if you are fairly new to FPGA I wouldn’t even think about ArtyS7 but do your homework ... now I can’t justfy purchasing another one so hard lesson to learn ... but I do recommend Xilinx FPGAs or products and think it is great... the software simple to use and free....
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

What do you want to know about a spartan 7 ?

0 Kudos