UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Vivado Hardware Manager doesn't see device

Accepted Solution Solved
Observer
Accepted Solution

Vivado Hardware Manager doesn't see device

Hi

I have a Kintex KC-705 FPGA connected via UART-USB to a Windows 10 x64 PC with Vivado 2017.3. I was able to run the BIST on it according to this manual:  https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/kc705/2014_3/ug883_K7_KC705_Eval_Kit.pdf.

I'm currently running into issues when I try to test the IBERT banks using this manual: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/kc705/2014_3/xtp200-kc705-ibert-c-2014-3.pdf. The issues I get are:

1. When I run the command source ibert_bank_117_118.tcl on page 13 of the PDF in the IBERT link, I get the following error in Vivado.

ERROR: [Common 17-170] Unknown option '-host', please type 'connect_hw_server -help' for usage info.

I suspect this may be a syntax error in the script code, and the newer version of Vivado hasn't upgraded.

2. The Hardware Manager says that it's unconnected, but the Hardware tab says that its connected to localhost(0), but the FPGA device is not connected. Below is a snapshot of the Vivado console.

vivado.png

If anyone is able to help me could they please point me in the right direction? 

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer

Re: Vivado Hardware Manager doesn't see device

Nevermind I solved it

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Observer

Nevermind I solved it

Visitor

How do you solve it? I'm having a similar problem.
Thank you.
Visitor

[ Edited ]

@malharjereCould you please elaborate how you solved it so that those of us with the same problem can try your solution?

Topics: 2
Kudos: 107
Solutions: 49

Hi @greande @samuel7rp

It seems like the script does this:

start_gui
open_hw
connect_hw_server -host localhost -port 60001 -url localhost:3121
current_hw_target [get_hw_targets */xilinx_tcf/Digilent/*]
set_property PARAM.FREQUENCY 15000000 [get_hw_targets */xilinx_tcf/Digilent/*]
open_hw_target

If I connect to a HW target via the GUI to "Open New Hardware Target" the TCL commands used are like this in the console. 

connect_hw_server -url localhost:3121
INFO: [Labtools 27-2285] Connecting to hw_server url TCP:localhost:3121
current_hw_target [get_hw_targets */xilinx_tcf/Digilent/210203335965A]
set_property PARAM.FREQUENCY 15000000 [get_hw_targets */xilinx_tcf/Digilent/210203335965A]
open_hw_target

If I try to use the -host option for connect_hw_server it errors out for me.

I am pretty sure the -host was deprecated because we needed to make the port selection more transparent to the user  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visitor

I was able to solve it shortly after posting my reply. I had installed Vivado on Linux and didn't realize that the cable drives were not installed automatically with Vivado, but had to be installed separately. Once I followed the instructions in UG973, the Hardware Manager was able to detect my board.

Visitor

Thank you for your answer @klumsde. Despite the similarities with this topic, my problem ended up being with an update from windows and not vivado.