Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

MPSoC Optimize Power Management

Jump to solution

For a battery driven system, I need to keep power consumtion at an absolute minimum and I am currently investigating if the MPSoC could fit these requirements.
The boot-up I am targeting:

1. System Power supplied.
2. BootROM loads PMUFW. The firmware is modified to only enable LPD and PL-PD (possible?).
3. RPU (R5_0) will run the bootloader from TCM and download a bitstream to the PL (modification of FSBL required in order to avoid DDR usage)
4. RPU will sleep until an interrupt occurs, which will power up the FPD and handoff to u-boot
5. APU will run u-boot, load rootfs, kernel,... and bootup linux

Problems/Unknowns that I am currently facing:

XPm_ForcePowerDown(NODE_FPD, REQUEST_ACK_NO); 
  • Using the API (documented in ug1199), power-down works as expected. However, I would like to avoid power-up in the PMUFW. Can this be done, or is the initial power-up of all domains fixed in PMU ROM?

• I am not able to power-up the FPD once shutdown. Looking at the PMUFW code, it seems like there is a PM_FORCE_POWERDOWN command implemented in the PmProcessRequest function, but nothing to power the domain up again - although, PMU ROM supports it (XpbrPwrUpFpdHandler). Is this correct?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @savula,

Thanks you for your reply.

1. So unfortunately there is no way to avoid initial power-up of a domain.
  2. Regarding the PM shutdown procedure Xilinx provided some help. The attached bare metal application can be run on R5 and is abled to power FPD domain up/down.

Maybe it is of use for somebody else too.

Regards,
so-lli1

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Hi @so-lli1 ,

the Functionality that you are looking to implement will be possible but no one tried it as of now. you should customize the PMUFW to meet your requirement. Initially everything will be powered up but once the device start executing the PMUFW, then you will get the control to power down/up required power domains. to power down/up FPD, LPD and other domains, please refer this wiki page: https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842181/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+Power+Off+Suspend

Best Regards,
Srikanth
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @savula,

Thanks you for your reply.

1. So unfortunately there is no way to avoid initial power-up of a domain.
  2. Regarding the PM shutdown procedure Xilinx provided some help. The attached bare metal application can be run on R5 and is abled to power FPD domain up/down.

Maybe it is of use for somebody else too.

Regards,
so-lli1

View solution in original post

0 Kudos