Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

QSPI flashing ID bytes: 00 00 00

Hi all

I am trying to flash the QSPI flash of a Zynq development board. When using the flashtool the half of the time it freezes, and sometimes it continues until it returns SF: unrecognized JEDEC id bytes: 00, 00, 00

The flash on the board is a Cypress/Spansion S25FL512S. When using the QSPI polled example from the SDK IP library, the id bytes can be read correctly (although the readback example fails sometimes).

I have found that it might be necessary to enable quad mode for this series of QSPI flash, but the QSPI example works both with 1x and 4x configured.

This has been tried on the following versions of Vivado: 2017.4 - 2018.1 and 2018.2, always same result.

What else can I try?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: QSPI flashing ID bytes: 00 00 00

Normally if QSPI example design failed in readback data comparison, it’s due to the bad IOs timing.
Please check whether the IO timing(ds191) and PCB guide(ug933) are met
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Did you run the standalone PS QSPI applications? To me it looks like the controller is unable to read device ID so the application should fail during initialize.

Can you please probe MOSI/MISO pins of the flash to see if there is some activity?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Yes, using the polled example from the IP folder I can read the ID correctly, write and readback the data. Although the readback sometimes fails.

On the sclk, mosi and miso I see signals changing. 

0 Kudos