UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

The difference between the .bin file and .bit.bin file

hi ,

I know that the .bin file and .bit.bin file both can configure the PL logic in ZYNQ.So I want to know what's the difference between the .bin file and .bit.bin file?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: The difference between the .bin file and .bit.bin file

Hi @chenyang1994

AFAIK, FPGA manager needs a .bin format file(can be .bin or .bit.bin) file to program the PL.

Regards
Kranthi
--------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Best Regards
Kranthi
--------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Bit file is text based, try to open one with a text editor. Bin file is binary, smaller. You can use either, doesn't make much difference.

Adventurer
Adventurer

hi,

My vivado version is 2017.4,so I want to use devcfg to partial reconfigure the PL logic in linux.What should I do?

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

That's another question. Better post it separately to not mess up. 

0 Kudos
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Hi @chenyang1994 , 

Both .bit and .bin are binary files. The difference is that .bit includes 129-byte text header that provides some information about bitstream name, FPGA, user ID, etc. It's typically used for JTAG configuration. I attached example screenshots of .bit and .bin.

The reason why .bit file can configure FPGA from a non-JTAG configuration interface is more subtle. A bitstream is essentially a sequence of configuration commands and data executed by FPGA configuration controller on power-on. (Bitstream format is described in more details in Chapter 9 of UG570 [link] for Ultrascale FPGAs). FPGA config controller starts executing commands in the first 129-byte of the file. But this is a text header, and those commands are invalid. Then it encounters a long sequence of FFs - this is a reset command to FPGA config controller. Commands after FF are the same in both .bit and .bin.

Thanks,

Evgeni

Tags (1)
bin.jpg
bit.jpg
Voyager
Voyager

@evgenis1, that's true I thought bit files were ASCII coded, like MCS, thanks for the extra info.

0 Kudos