Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Control DVI/VGA output via Sysgen

Hi,

Is it possible to control the DVI/VGA output using sysgen? For instance I want to see the graphs from the DVI/VGA out of the board.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Control DVI/VGA output via Sysgen

I'm using a ML506 board Virtex 5 XC5VSX50T
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

what are you abpout to do?

Sure, you can place signals to the IOB locations for the DVI Output.

You may even set up a design in sysgen that will synthesize into some small graphics controller.

The biggest problem will be the video memory (unless you are planning to build some vector display emulator :-)  )

because it's kind of difficult to put some DDR-Memory controller IP into sysgen.

Also, your simulation time for this design wil probably hit the roof.

Just imagine the amount of signal changes and clock cycles needed to output a single frame.

And what is meant by "the graphs"? Is it just short for some graphic output to DVI or do you refer to matlab/simulink plot/scope results of your DSP system? In the later case you are completely on the wrong track.

Have a nice simulation

Eilert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I'm thinking of viewing the results in graphs on a separate monitor connected directly at the DVI output of the ML506 board.

But then, I guess I should just stick with the graphs/plots seen in Simulink. :) I'll just return back the signals in that case.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Is there a step by step tutorial on how to setup sysgen so i could display text on the LCD for ML506? :D Thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

better waste excessive power on a 20 km run. :-)

Honestly, you are expecting the wrong things from sysgen.

It's called "System Generator for DSP" for a purpose.

When you are about to design some DSP system with stuff like FIRs/IIRs/FFTs etc. everything is fine.

The output of such a DSP system in general will be something like some stream of Data in some N-bit fixed poind data format. No more, no less.

This can neither be magically transformed to some nice plot for the DVI output of your development board.

That would require some large and sophisticated IP-core,  which would not be very popular, since Matlab/Simulink can do this with your PC-Screen. (Have you tried HW-Cosimulation?)

If you want to use the LCD, maybe you should take a look at the S3E-Starter Kit reference designs.

The display may be the same. Also Sysgen supports the Picoblaze. So with reasonable effort you can create a Textdisplay-controller based on the well documented reference design. Keep in mind that you can use Black Box blocks to include HDL design parts into your sysgen design. However you need to find the correct i/o pin locations. Also this design will probably be hard to simulate and not work in HW-Cosimulation without special care and limitations.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert   

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks :D Then I guess if I want to output an audio file from Sysgen to ML506's audio out, that would be pointless since I can always bring back the data to Matlab and play it from there?

Yes, I've been using hw cosim, I've tried to manipulate signals mapped to gpio leds, I've also tried to control gpio leds using SW8 GPIO DIP SW. :) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

basically yes.

Though it is much simpler to controll the AC97 device on the ML506 to play your samples, compared to creating some useful graphical output of the same data.

About the HW-Cosim.

If you want to use it in real-time, e.g. for some audio output, you need the Free Running mode, which needs some special design considerations.

You wrote that you tried to controll LEDs and switches. Did you succeed?

Are you doing HW-cosim over the JTAG interface?

Have a nice simulation

Eilert

0 Kudos