UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

FIR v7.2 simulation

I've built an FIR filter using IP generated coefficients.   When I run the testbench I see don't see any data on the output side, it's all zero.  I see the impulse 400000 and 200000 getting put on the slave bus and I see TVALID on the Master side but data is all 0.  In the test bench I see the ocmment about don't check the output payload as this requires the behaviroal model.  Is this why there is nothing on the master AXI data bus?  How does one see this?   I would have thought with the impulse input that the coeffiecients would have been outputted.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: FIR v7.2 simulation

Can you post a screenshot of your simulation?

Are you waiting at least ~100ns for GSR simulation to complete before you send in your impulse?
www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

Hi @bwiec,

could you explain what the GSR simulation is and the 100ns initialization? because I am not aware of this.

I see the impulse 400000 and 200000 getting put on the slave bus and I see TVALID on the Master side but data is all 0.

I understand the input data is correct.

In the test bench I see the ocmment about don't check the output payload as this requires the behaviroal model. 

no the behavioral simulation should produce data, the post-synthesis/timing simulation is just to simulate an accurate timing model, although they are most of the time identical but that depends on the core you are simulating.

So my guess is there is a problem on your m_axis data bus handshake, try to either remove support for TREADY or provide a steady TREADY='1'

G.W.,
NIST - Time Frequency metrology
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

could you explain what the GSR simulation is and the 100ns initialization? because I am not aware of
this.

I'm probably not the best person to explain the minutiae of how it works; I'm only aware of it.

If you look at C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.4\data\verilog\src\glbl.v (which is compiled into every verilog sim), you'll see that this essentially simulates GSR circuitry and asserts a reset on everything.

So if you try to send stimulus before 100ns while GSR is asserted, you'll be sending it while the circuit is held in reset.

I've seen this alot specifically with DSP cores which is common to test with impulses. If you start generating your clock at 0ns sim time and send the impulse in on the first clock cycle to a FIR, it will be missed and the output will always be zero, as the original poster described.

If I remember correctly, this doesn't apply to VHDL simulations, though I can't remember exactly why. Maybe one of the sim folks will chime in.

At the end of the day, I just make it a habit to not do anything in my TBs until at least 100ns and don't have to worry about it.

www.xilinx.com
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

0 Kudos

wow thanks that is something I was completely unaware of.

I guess I have been lucky because I only performed VHDL simulations so far, although that means it also happens in mixed languages simulations
G.W.,
NIST - Time Frequency metrology
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Here's a screen shot of the simulation window.  The test bench is the file that the IP generated automatically.

no output.jpg

no output.jpg
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor csuziandras
Visitor

hi @steve_av,

I did use recently the FIR compiler v7.2 in simulation and it worked fine for me.

The first N-1 outputs are zeros, where N is the tap size of your filter.

Try to play around with the input value in your test vector, make a walking one pattern for starter.

Andras

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Also, watch out for quantization.

Can you show your FIR Compiler configuration and your coefficients?

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Attached is the XCIX for the FIR compiler.  One must rename the extention since XCIX isn't a valid extension for a compressed file (browsers complain).  So simply rename the extention from .zip to .xcix and you can see what I did for the FIR filter.  It's a decimation by 2, two channel FIR and I let the tool pick the coefficients (no external file).

The odd thing is the comments in the test bench that the tool generated, it specifically states you won't see anything out of the core for data.  That puzzles me other than just using the simulation to look at the interface signals.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Not sure why, perhaps pilot error, but this project simulation would not provide any outputs on the AXI bus.  I created a new test project, added this IP from this project and it simulated correctly.  Not sure why.  This was 2015.4

0 Kudos