UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

IIR compiler

Jump to solution

Hi ,

Simple Question : Why there is no IIR compiler in Vivado IDE? Why there is only FIR compiler? 

In fact, I am using ARTY 7 baord and facing the DSP slices limitation when using FIR filters (I need to use 7 filters in my design).

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: IIR compiler

Jump to solution

A simple question but maybe not a definite answer.

FIR filters can be (and usually are) linear phase.  This is a nice feature that makes them useful for a wide range of signal processing applications.  FIR filters are always stable.  This isn't true of IIR filters.  IIR filters are fairly easy to code in your favorite HDL, so there may not be a need for an IIR Compiler.  FIR filters have a lot of hard to code Implementations, such as polyphase decimators and integrators.  You can try to code these yourself but matching the resource efficiency of the FIR compiler is hard (trust me on this).  

It seems to me that back in the Dark Ages, maybe around the time of ISE6.2, there was an IIR Compiler, but that was a long time ago and memory fades. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Re: IIR compiler

Jump to solution

A simple question but maybe not a definite answer.

FIR filters can be (and usually are) linear phase.  This is a nice feature that makes them useful for a wide range of signal processing applications.  FIR filters are always stable.  This isn't true of IIR filters.  IIR filters are fairly easy to code in your favorite HDL, so there may not be a need for an IIR Compiler.  FIR filters have a lot of hard to code Implementations, such as polyphase decimators and integrators.  You can try to code these yourself but matching the resource efficiency of the FIR compiler is hard (trust me on this).  

It seems to me that back in the Dark Ages, maybe around the time of ISE6.2, there was an IIR Compiler, but that was a long time ago and memory fades. 

View solution in original post