UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant 2010stone
Participant

Semantic error in Mult

Hello, I have the next problem (see the image). The question is why 3*4 = 6?

The parameters of my mult block are:

Precision: Full

Latency: 3

The parameters of my constant block are:

Type: Signed(2´s comp)

Constant value: 3

Number of bits: 16

Binary point: 10

Thank you for your help!

SemanticErrorinMult.JPG

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Visitor johnmountney
Visitor

Re: Semantic error in Mult

1. Make sure your 'gateway in' parameters are set up correctly. (number of bits and binary point as well as siged or unsigned)

2. Make sure the multiplier output precision is also correct.

3. If the blocks are interpretting the data as signed integers then the output is the complement.

4. The multiplier has a latency of 3 clock cycles. Make sure you run the model for at least 3 cycles to fill the pipeline.

0 Kudos
Participant 2010stone
Participant

Sorry , I don´t understand the relation between the concept of latency and the concept of pipeline?

I set up the latency as 1 but I get the same result.

0 Kudos
Visitor johnmountney
Visitor

The pipeline is the internal digital logic performing the computation, The pipeline is typically divided into multiple stages in order to increase throughput when performing the same operation a large number of times. By default, the multiplier has a pipeline of 3 stages (latency = 3). This just means it will take 3 clock cycles before the multiplier produces the result you are looking for.

Run the model using a 'to workspace' block and look at the output in the Matlab worksapce. You will be able look at the first few time steps and see how it takes 3 cycles before it produces the product. Since you have constants as inputs, It will compute a product and hold it. Try changing the inputs and you will notice how the correct product lags the inputs that produced it by 3 time steps.

First, you need to check your block parameters to ensure they are performing as desired. Try using unsigned integers as inputs with binary point at 0 and set multiplier output to full precision to start. This will make debugging earsier. SysGen gets tricky when using signed arithmetic since it is 2's complement.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It will help if you attach the model file (.mdl file) instead of just a snapshot of it.

@2010stone wrote:

Hello, I have the next problem (see the image). The question is why 3*4 = 6?

The parameters of my mult block are:

Precision: Full

Latency: 3

The parameters of my constant block are:

Type: Signed(2´s comp)

Constant value: 3

Number of bits: 16

Binary point: 10

Thank you for your help!

SemanticErrorinMult.JPG

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Visitor johnmountney
Visitor

Attach the model

0 Kudos
Participant 2010stone
Participant

I´ve just attached my file.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Participant 2010stone
Participant

I´ve put as unsigned, the constant block, the input block and the mult block and I get 12 at the output block.

Thank you for your help.

:smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Just wanted to point out what went wrong in your original model: the "Gateway In' block is set to signed 16.14 format with saturation, which means the output of the "Gateway In" block is bound to [-2, 2). When you send "4" to the "gateway in" block, it saturates the block and the down stream logic only sees 1.9999... . This is why you get "6" as the result. If you change the "Gateway In" data to signed 16.12 format, you will get the expected result 12.

If you don't expect overflow occuring in your design, it's always a good idea to use "Flag as error" as the "Overflow" option for a block.

@2010stone wrote:

I´ve just attached my file.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos