Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Serial Port Capture , Help Required!

Hi everyone,

The problem i am having is to do with serial port capture. Basically i am sending 8 but data samples to the computer and am using a program called realterm to view them. In this package you an capture the data and save it to a file , but doing this means its saved in a weird format, one i dont understand, My question is , does anyone know how/know of a pogram that will allow me to view and save serial data sample in hex/binary format. The reason i need to do this , is because i want to produce an FFT plot of the data in Matlab.

Thanks ,

Stuart
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I am not aware of any software to capture data from a serial port.

I would recommend that you look at System Generator which will allow you to do cycle and bit accurate simulations of your FFT design in MATLAB's Simulink environment.  Additionally you can run hardware in the loop simulations that runs stimulus through the FPGA and allows capture directly back into Simulink which you can store to Matlab workspace variables.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Presumably it's saved as a bunch of bytes (assuming you haven't encoded them in some way).  Can't you just use fscanf("%c") in Matlab to read them back in a "character" (== BYTE) at a time?

Cheers,
Martin
Martin Thompson
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.co.uk/capabilities/electronic-hardware
0 Kudos