Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christophe_m
Observer
Observer

is there any logic in vitis?

Jump to solution

I am confused.

I try to work with the versal AI engines in vitis, and I simply cannot remember where the different settings are hidden in the IDE simply because I dont see the logic...

Is there any?

Or are the different settings just spread around in what eclipse could provide... (in which case eclipse was maybe a bad choice)

What is the explorer supposed to show? What is the assistant supposed to show? From your HW description, I understand that a Platform should include a Domain (Processor), which in turn includes systems (OS?) which include apps (which I would call programs).

Where is this shown in Vitis?

If there a a logic as of where to find the different configuration parameters, I'd like it to be explained.

/Thx

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
florentw

HI @christophe_m 

On the top, the platform. not there... why?

Under the Platform,  I would have expected to see the domain(s). Not there either...?

Then, in each domains,  I would have expected the system(s) , (Which is the top your your hierarchy??)

I guess one thing you might want to consider is to view the platform directory as an application to build the platform not the platform itself which would be the .xpfm file.

If you are a vivado user, think about when you select a device. You are not seeing your hierarchy under the device but under your top level wrapper or RTL file. Then it would be the same here, the system would be your analogy of the top level file and the platform would be the device that you use.

The main difference is that the device is hard-defined on the silicon while the platform would be more a soft-defined target.

Then with the same analogy, the apps would be the IPs or sub-blocks that you are instantiating.

For the platform project, the domain are present but in the explorer window you will have to navigate to <platform_name>/export/<platform_name>/sw/<platform_name>

The way to configure them is to click on the <platform_name>.xpfm file under the platform project

florentw_1-1623404211867.png

The aie_app_system contains a aie_app_system.sprj... not sure what that is compared to the system
I don't find anything related to domain in the hierarchy?

aie_app_system.sprj is the configuration file for the system called aie_app

When it comes to finding the "properties", it seems a bit random there too... double click in the assistant/explorer, right click+select properties...

Could you give more details on what settings you had issue finding? I believe this is very much based on what eclipse is doing but maybe the assistant can help pointing directly to the right settings

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

4 Replies
florentw

HI @christophe_m 

There is a definition of the explorer and assistant view here:

https://www.xilinx.com/html_docs/xilinx2020_2/vitis_doc/creatingvitisideproject.html#ariaid-title5

Explorer view

Displays a file-oriented tree view of the project folders and their associated source files, plus the build files, and reports generated by the tool. You can use this to explore your project file hierarchy.

Assistant view

Provides a central location to view and manage the projects of the workspace, and the build and run configurations of the project. You can interact with the various project settings and reports of the different configurations. From this view, you can build and run your Vitis IDE application projects, and launch the Vitis analyzer to view reports and performance data as explained in Using the Vitis Analyzer.

The way I would simplify this:

• The explorer view is showing all the hierarchy of all the projects/systems included in the workpace
  • The assistant view is not only a simplified view of the explorer view (only give the reports files) but also gives a quick access of the most useful commands (build, debug, configuration...). This is a tentative of helping users to be most efficient. If you have things you think would be useful then you can always make a suggestion to see if this can be added.

Yes a platform includes one or multiple domain which are running one or multiple applications on a specific OS. When you create a platform through the GUI you will have a view of the domain.

If the platform does not appear in your workspace, you can have a summary view on it by clicking on the platform name in the system settings:

florentw_0-1623329800490.png

Then you have the system which is just the compilation of all the apps (PS + AIE+ PL kernels) running on a platform.

Let me know if there are still things which are unclear,

Regards

Florent
christophe_m
Observer
Observer

Hi,

I gave you a Kudo for the effort you put in the answer. Appreciated.

Nevertheless, I am still confused:
On the screenshot you sent, in the explorer and in the assistant, I would have expected to see a Hierarchy as follows:

Under the Platform,  I would have expected to see the domain(s). Not there either...?

Then, in each domains,  I would have expected the system(s) , (Which is the top your your hierarchy??)

And in each systems, the apps. That seems to be OK

On my vitis (I guess it is the same for you), the platform is shown at the same level than the aie_app_system (Which I guess is the system?)
The aie_app_system contains a aie_app_system.sprj... not sure what that is compared to the system

So I cannot see the structure you describe in your docs in vitis...
But yes, domains are shown in the platform summary... (thanks for this tips)

When it comes to finding the "properties", it seems a bit random there too... double click in the assistant/explorer, right click+select properties...

I guess you have answered the case as well as you could, and thx for that. If there is some logic I missed, you can complete, otherwise I guess I will learn with time...
If you have some connection to the developers, maybe they should read my comments ...

Thanks again

0 Kudos
florentw

HI @christophe_m 

I guess one thing you might want to consider is to view the platform directory as an application to build the platform not the platform itself which would be the .xpfm file.

If you are a vivado user, think about when you select a device. You are not seeing your hierarchy under the device but under your top level wrapper or RTL file. Then it would be the same here, the system would be your analogy of the top level file and the platform would be the device that you use.

The main difference is that the device is hard-defined on the silicon while the platform would be more a soft-defined target.

Then with the same analogy, the apps would be the IPs or sub-blocks that you are instantiating.

For the platform project, the domain are present but in the explorer window you will have to navigate to <platform_name>/export/<platform_name>/sw/<platform_name>

The way to configure them is to click on the <platform_name>.xpfm file under the platform project

florentw_1-1623404211867.png

aie_app_system.sprj is the configuration file for the system called aie_app

Could you give more details on what settings you had issue finding? I believe this is very much based on what eclipse is doing but maybe the assistant can help pointing directly to the right settings

Florent

View solution in original post

christophe_m
Observer
Observer

Thx. Found my lost parameter. the top graph file specification.

Not fully convinced about the logic of vitis, but fully aware there is nothing more the support can do about this

Thx again!