Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

problem encountered with squareroot xilinx block

Hi,

Has anyone encountered a problem with the squareroot block from the xilinx blockset, using windows 7 Prof., Matlab R2013a & ISE 14.6? Input to the squareroot block is floating point 16 bit with binary point at 13:

I get a message "input exponent-width is set to a value of 3, but the value must be between 4 and 16, inclusive.
Error occurred during "Rate and Type Error Checking".".

When I follow the instruction to try to correct it to a correct value, I get the following message "input fraction-width is set to a value of 12, but the value must be between 4 and 5, inclusive.
Error occurred during "Rate and Type Error Checking"."

When apparently correct (binary point at 4), the following message appears "An internal error occurred in the Xilinx Blockset Library.

Please report this error to Xilinx (http://support.xilinx.com), in as much detail as possible. You may also find immediate help in the Answers Database and other online resources at http://support.xilinx.com.

Since it is possible that this internal error resulted from an unhandled usage error in your design, we advise you to carefully check the usage of the block reporting the internal error. If errors persist, we recommend that you restart MATLAB."

Any help? What bit word length can I input into the squareroot block?

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Many thanks,

John Fazendeiro

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: problem encountered with squareroot xilinx block

Hi,

For general reasons on Rate changing error please see relavant threads

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/DSP-Tools/Error-occurred-during-quot-Rate-and-Type-Error-Checking-quot/td-p/406421

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/DSP-Tools/Problem-with-Reloadable-FIR-Filter/td-p/367725

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/DSP-Tools/System-generator-error/td-p/428410

For internal error please check all the steps listed in below Xilinx AR, make sure you invoke Sysgen from start menu and no clear the cache.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/44617.html

Also please try with 14.7+Matlab R2013b to avoid any tools know issues

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/17966.html

If you think Square root block parameters and your input data types are correct and still see the error please upload your deisgn for investigation

Regards,

Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I have installed the required patch for the bug-fix between Win 7, Matlab R2013a & ISE 14.6 SE.

The model here is very simple but I cannot figure out what is wrong.

Thank you for your help so far.

Kind regards,

John Fazendeiro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

I was able to simulate the model with out any errors.

The internal error generally occurs due to installation or setup issue's.

Can you try with latest version ISE 14.7 and R2013a and check,it doesn't require a patch and directly supports R2013a.

If you want to continue with ISE14.6 and if the AR44617 doesn't help,try reinstalling the tools.

I prefer trying with the latest version.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

I would suggest you to run Xilinx demo designs and check if you the same error.

If the error is seen only with specific design try rebuilding it, close Matlab, reinvoke Sysgen and retry.

Use 14.7 + Matlab R2013b/a only, do you have multiple ISE/Matlab installations?

Also check if you have a valid license,  make sure you tried clearing the cache and environmental varioable settings are appropriate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Satish,

I will look at AR44617 to see if I can resolve the issue.

Strangely enough, when I closed the system at the end of the day a message popped up with an internal problem. Now when I have started the PC and loaded System Generator the following message appears in Matlab comand window "Failed to find closing 'D' (line 20428) while loading toolbox cache.
Error occurred loading: C:\Users\Joao Fazendeiro\AppData\Roaming\MathWorks\MATLAB\R2013a\toolbox_cache-8.1.0-349527100-win64.xml
Cache file ignored." This file is date-stamped the last time I had the system working when I started seeking help. Is this normal?

Thank you and kind regards,

John Fazendeiro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Vanitha,

I am using a single installation of Matlab and a single installation of ISE 14.6. The license is valid. The same squareroot block in other models causes the same error messages. Other models with no squareroot block work fine.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Satish,

The error encountered in my previous message cleared up when I ran a good working model, then restarted the System Generator.

The squareroot block is still not working.

How would I reinstall the tools?

regards,

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

If your other models with out Square root work fine as said earlier did you try building the same design from the scratch?

To reinstall the tools you should first uninstall and then install again.

Go to Start-> ISE design suite-> Accessories -> uninstall

Similar way for Matlab

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

yes, if I build a new simple model, the problem persists.

regards,

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Did you tried to check on a different machine?

Also try with the latest version of ISE14.7 and R2013a by removing the older versions and check if it helps.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos