UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

simulink system period

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have a design in System generator and going to implement it on the ZED board. I have run the timing analysis and the result says that there is no timing violation. I see an option 'Simulink system period(sec) ' set to 1(default) in clocking option of system generator icon(shown in figure below). My question is, what value should it be changed to ? what determines the simulink system period?

thank you in advance.

Capture.JPG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: simulink system period

Jump to solution

HI @sai_shashi

Hope your query is addressed. As long as you are not designing the multi sample rate system. you can keep all the sample period values as '1' (in sysgen token and in Gateway in blocks)and work .

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The timing analysis will be performed against the requirement set in the 'FPGA clock period.' The simulink system period is basically a normalization factor to make sample rate math easier in the simulink environment. It won't affect the timing analysis.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

thanks for your reply.

But will the simulink system period affect the hardware co-simulation timing. I mean by reducing the simulink system period will we be able to accelerate the design ? or what are the other parameters that the acceleration through hardware co-simulation depends upon ? 

than you

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
check jtag frequency settings
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

where do i check jtag frequency settings ?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
in generated hardware co simulation settings .
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi

I have connected the zed board to PC through JTAG port.

In HWcosim settings editor window, the fields are inactive. whats is the reason? 

Capture.JPG
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @sai_shashi

Simulink system period  will not affect either HW cosimulation or the normal simulation speed. As Brian wiec, it is just a normalized value of the sample period value. and can be left at 1 if your entire simulink design works at one sample rate.

Only when your design involves multiple sample rates , the simulink sample period should be  the greatest common divisor of all the sample periods in the model.

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @sai_shashi

Hope your query is addressed. As long as you are not designing the multi sample rate system. you can keep all the sample period values as '1' (in sysgen token and in Gateway in blocks)and work .

Thanks
Bharath

View solution in original post

0 Kudos