cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

system generator or matlab simulink HDL coder

If I have matlab and vivado design edition and want to create DSP and other algorithm modeling subsystem then is it better to get:

1), system generator or

2) Matlab HDL coder

It seem like both provides similar blocksets and provides similar function,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

There are some differences between these two tools, 

1. Matlab HDL coder: This is a Matlab-tool which converts the matlab code to VHDL/Verilog code. 

2. System generator: This is the Xilinx-library which is available for Matlab-Simulink environment. System-generator blocks are 'bit accurate' and 'cycle accurate'. In the other words, result in Simulink environment will be exactly same as the results after implementation (which may not be the case with Matlab-HDL coder).

Also, you can create some custom blocks using 'system generator tool' as well, but you can not write a very long matlab-code as SysGen can not convert it to HDL code. 

Note that, you can simulate the SysGen designs without any license. But you need a SysGen-licence to generate the HDL-designs from the Simulink design. 

/ 7\7     Meher Krishna Patel, PhD
\ \        Senior Product Application Engineer, Xilinx
/ /        
\_\/\7   It is not so much that you are within the cosmos as that the cosmos is within you...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

1) I'm planning to get a SysGen license but before this I didn't noticed the my Vivado Design version has any SyGen support. I went through all the pull-down menu in Vivado and cannot access anything to do with SysGen.

2) From your description, SysGen is much more accurate than  Matlab HDL coder? But if one uses Matlab HDL coder to generate  models and simulation shows accurate enough then SysGen is redundant and  really not needed. Would this be correct?

I was wondering why Xilinx provides SysGen anyway since in this case a Matlab license is required to use it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Please see the answers inline.

1) I'm planning to get a SysGen license but before this I didn't noticed the my Vivado Design version has any SyGen support. I went through all the pull-down menu in Vivado and cannot access anything to do with SysGen.

Ans: Vivado design suite is offered in two editions , 1, Design edition and 2. System edition.

System Generator is available with Vivado as part of the System Edition. Please change to System Edition to start using the System Generator.

2) From your description, SysGen is much more accurate than  Matlab HDL coder? But if one uses Matlab HDL coder to generate  models and simulation shows accurate enough then SysGen is redundant and  really not needed. Would this be correct?

Ans : System Generator introduces a block set call Xilinx Blockset into Simulink. The Xilinx blockset contains various blocks which are optimized for implementation on Xilinx FPGA. These blocks leverage the Xilinx IP blocks for functions like FIR compiler, FFT etc and provide resource optimized FPGA implementations.

I was wondering why Xilinx provides SysGen anyway since in this case a Matlab license is required to use it.

ans: Sysgen operates on top of MATLAB/Simulink, with optimized blocksets. Hence Matlab is required for System Generator and hence the Matlab license is required.

0 Kudos