Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Alveo U50 (DMB-1) - No device detected on target

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm using the Alveo U50 via RTL-Flow. I successfully generated a bitstream including those constraints:

# Bitstream Configuration
set_property CONFIG_VOLTAGE 1.8                        [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.CONFIGFALLBACK Enable    [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.GENERAL.COMPRESS TRUE           [current_design]
set_property CONFIG_MODE SPIx4                         [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.SPI_BUSWIDTH 4           [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.CONFIGRATE 85.0          [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.EXTMASTERCCLK_EN disable [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.SPI_FALL_EDGE YES        [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.UNUSEDPIN Pullup         [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.SPI_32BIT_ADDR Yes       [current_design]

and converted it to a .mcs-File via:

write_cfgmem -force -format mcs -interface spix4 -size 1024 -loadbit "up 0x01002000 bitstream.bit" -file "converted_bitstream.mcs"

Then I programmed the Alveo U50 FPGA according to the instructions. The programming went through without any errors. After restarting the Host the card won't show up on lspci. Although a PCIe-Interface is implemented in the custom design. All LEDs are off!

When the DMB-1 Cable is connected Xilinx Hardware Manager promts:

[Labtools 27-2269] No devices detected on target localhost:3121/xilinx_tcf/Xilinx/500202A2102AA.
Check cable connectivity and that the target board is powered up then
use the disconnect_hw_server and connect_hw_server to re-register this hardware target.

Of course xbutil won't recognise the Alveo U50 as well. So both Options of AR# 71757 won't work.

How can I unbrick the card?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi @mcertosi ,

the card is working again. It got it into a state where I was able to reprogram it. I think the trick is to plug in the DMB-1 Cable while cold booting and click "auto-connect" in the Hardware-Manager within the 2sec window the LEDs are on. Perhaps it was just luck, but that was the constellation that worked in my case. The LEDs kept being lit and the FPGA then was detected by Vivados' Hardware Manager.

Best Regards

Julian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Small update: I did get the card to work for two consecutive cold boot-ups. It did provide the functions which I designed for it. After that, same problem as before.

When starting the computer the LEDs (green and blue) come up for about 2 seconds and then go off. This only orrurs while cold boot. With warm boot the LED stay off complety.

I tried different computers (SuperMicro and Asrock Rack Mainboards) without anys sucess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @julian.poehler 

There are two things you need to watch out for, one is making sure you have the CAT TRIP pin driven low by the FPGA. The other is a reboot bug we found in the satellite controller (SC) in one of the earlier releases. 

The fix for CAT TRIP is easy, use XTP576's latest XDC file and select the pin and drive it as the XDC indicates. 

The fix for the SC is to update the SC firmware. The easiest way to do this is to flash the latest shell onto the card, this updates the SC firmware. In the Vitis or shell flows, you'd be able to use XRT tools to update the SC without updating the shell, but this is not an available option for you at this time using the RTL flow. 

After verifying these two things, please report back and let me know if the behavior has changed or not. 

Regards,

M

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hello @mcertosi,

thank you for your answers. Well, the problem is that there's no way of reverting the card to factory setting in the current situation. As I wrote - I can't get a connection to the FPGA via the DMB-1 in the Hardware Manager. Therefore I can't reprogramm it. Therefore I can't update any I/O or any SC-Firmware.

Currently I try my best by constantly cold rebooting the machine to get the card into a state where it doesn't turn off after 2 seconds. If I get to that state, I will revert it to factory settings.

Do you have any insights on how to get the SC into a debug state? I think the SC is switching the cards power off or anything like that.

Best regards

Julian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @julian.poehler 

You're right, if the lights aren't coming on the card is in an unworkable state. 

Can you try to get it working again and revert it? Otherwise we'll have to fix it for you. The Answer Record server is down for migration for about a week, so if you can't get it working again by that time I'll send you the process for an RMA. 

Best Regards,

M

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi @mcertosi ,

the card is working again. It got it into a state where I was able to reprogram it. I think the trick is to plug in the DMB-1 Cable while cold booting and click "auto-connect" in the Hardware-Manager within the 2sec window the LEDs are on. Perhaps it was just luck, but that was the constellation that worked in my case. The LEDs kept being lit and the FPGA then was detected by Vivados' Hardware Manager.

Best Regards

Julian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

> Well, the problem is that there's no way of reverting the card to factory setting in the current situation

I don't quite get it.

Is there any way to flash factory settings (ALVEO shell) to the U50 over DMB-1? I want to do some experimenting with custom flow design (https://github.com/ucsdsysnet/corundum), but also I want to have the posibility to go to the ALVEO/Vitis workflow later.

0 Kudos