cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zafir

alveo u280 disappearing in daisy chain in r730xd

Hi,

I am facing issue in using xilinx alveo u280 card with custom design flow in dell 730xd server.

I know dell 730xd is not qualified server for u280 but we have these servers working fine with previous u280 cards.

The precise issue which I face in using u280 is that it is not getting detected in daisy chain permanently. (we use two r730 servers, one where card is installed and jtag cable is connected and other server where other end of jtag cable is connected and vivado hw manager is running) 
Its red led is blinking with fixed frequency and card appear and then disappear from daisy chain on vivado HW manager.
We know there are 2 recommended ways to revert the golden image of card one is to use XRT (it require golden image binary to be flashed in mcs) or other is to use vivado flow and flash the golden image mcs.

Unfortunately, we don't have these two options available as we have changed the fpga design mcs file from the one which come with card. 
It is our suspicion that card is trying to load configuration from flash and some how this process is interrupted (may be due to power shortage) and card reset it self that's why red light is blinking with fixed frequency as it is occuring in a loop.

Is there anyway to recover from this state and bring card in normal stable condition?
(we are using 450W supply in desktop, and this behavior is occuring, also this behavior is occuring in r730xd where 750W supply is installed, this behavior is coming with and without AUX supply connected)

I also need to know the possible cause of this issue as it is not coming in factory provided card, (initially it was getting detected permanently) but may be we did some step after then it is start coming so we need to know which step we should avoid in future with other u280 cards.

I also need to know that we did earlier one mistake in using these cards. In the quest to supply adequate power via aux connector, we connected atx power supply connection with the board via a external power supply. we verified that pinnout was matching with 8-pin aux connector of card but issue was that we have not made ground of external atx supply and r730 server same, did that cause board to turn faulty and it is possible issue of daisy chain detection unstability? 

Thanks for your excellent troubleshooting webpages and answer records we have gone through most of them regarding alveo.

Regards
Zafir 
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnFedakIV

Hi @zafir ,

Welcome to the Xilinx Forums!

The use of an ATX power supply may be the cause of this issue. Using an ATX power supply can damage the card as discussed in AR 72298. This is also mentioned in the Getting Started guide UG1301 (v1.5 is applicable for the U280).

The red LED indicates that the card is experiencing a power delivery issue. I want to confirm, the card is visible in Vivado HW but the connection drops before you are able to load the golden image? Do you have a known working card that you can test in the same PCIe slot to ensure that there isn't a power related issue coming from the server?

We do recommend to always run the higher power cards with the PCIe AUX attached, so the card receives the power it is expecting.

Regards,
~John

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution! *
zafir

Hi John, thanks for your answer. I have attached the screen short of errors which we face when we try to detect and flash via jtag. If some one has clue for these errors it will be helpful. Thanks.

MicrosoftTeams-image.png
0 Kudos
JohnFedakIV

Hi @zafir ,

I see that the first message wants to check that the target board is powered, given that you are seeing the red LED which indicates a power delivery issue on the card - I think this further points to the card having power related issues. As mentioned in the last post, the use of an ATX power supply may damage the card.

Regards,
~John

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution! *
0 Kudos