UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Powering Alveo board

Jump to solution

Excuse me for very stupid question but... I need to make some investigation with U200 where no PCI connection is needed on the first stage. Is it possible to power board from 8 pin connector without inserting to PCIe slot?

PS Yes, I read UG1289 with general guideline

Dynamic power sourcing based on external power supplied
• 75W PCIe slot functional with 35 A max VCCINT current PCIe slot power only
• 150 W PCIe slot functional with 110 A max VCCINT current PCIe slot power and 6-pin PCIe Aux power cable connected
• 225 W PCIe slot functional with 160 A max VCCINT current PCIe slot power and 8-pin PCIe Aux power cable connected

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Powering Alveo board

Jump to solution

Hi @5506273 

The Alveo Data Center Accelerator card must be used in a PCIe slot as specified in UG1301 / UG1289.  The PCIe slot provides multiple power rails, which correctly power the card.  The 8 pin connector provides additional power resources, but is not a "stand-alone" power solution. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @5506273 

The Alveo Data Center Accelerator card must be used in a PCIe slot as specified in UG1301 / UG1289.  The PCIe slot provides multiple power rails, which correctly power the card.  The 8 pin connector provides additional power resources, but is not a "stand-alone" power solution. 

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Visitor moaxiro
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

running an Alveo board without a computer is interesting in general, because it allows to build a processing system where data is streamed from one board to another via 100G ethernet. The cost of such a system can be reduced significantly when the Alveo board can run stand alone.

I guess running the board stand alone is possible when all the required voltages are applied to the PCIe connector. I think Xilinx should offer this mode of operation because this is something GPUs can not do.

Greetings!

0 Kudos