UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Actual Read/Write Width FIFO Generator v9.3 question

Jump to solution

Need to generate a FIFO that will write 64, 64-bit data values, and be able to read that data 16-bits at a time.  Independent clocks. 

The v9.3 GUI states that the Actual write depth is 63 and the Actual read depth is 252.  Does this imply that I can't read all of the data that I wrote? 

Do i have to bump up the write depth to 128, and use programmable thresholds to get the actual write and read depths equal to 64, and 256, respectively?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Actual Read/Write Width FIFO Generator v9.3 question

Jump to solution

Hi

you can increase the depth to 128 and can set the programmable full threshold to 64 and programmable empty threshold to 256 to control the data input and output  from the FIFO as per your requirement.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

yes the actual depth will be different from the configured depth depending on the parameters selected.

However you can read all the data that is written into the FIFO.

Input actual data written 64*63=4032 and actual data read will be 16*252=4032.

If  you require exactly 64*64=4096 for your application then you can go for higher depths.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Yes, I would require exactly 64x64 so I would have to increase the depth. Only thing is I need an indication that all 64 x 64 have been read and written. In that case, I sort of need a pseudo half full/empty flag.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

you can increase the depth to 128 and can set the programmable full threshold to 64 and programmable empty threshold to 256 to control the data input and output  from the FIFO as per your requirement.

Regards,

Satish

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
please refer below ARs

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/23075.htm
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos