cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Programming Cable ESN

Jump to solution

Is there a way to embed a programming Cable's ESN into a CPLD code, in order for me to track which programming cable/station was used to program a specific CPLD, in my case an XC9500XL? Or is this information embedded somewhere in the CPLD already during programming?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

For the 9500XL there is a usercode option, but that is entered at bitstream/Jedec generation - so it is not dynamically adjustable at program-time. However you could provide each station a unique bitsteram that has the usercode value designated for that station. This value can then be read back using JTAG and then identifies the programming station.

/Arthur

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

For the 9500XL there is a usercode option, but that is entered at bitstream/Jedec generation - so it is not dynamically adjustable at program-time. However you could provide each station a unique bitsteram that has the usercode value designated for that station. This value can then be read back using JTAG and then identifies the programming station.

/Arthur

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks Arthur!

I was hoping not to have to touch the bits. Dealing with multiple images even though only the Usercode bits change becomes tedious especially when revisions change, so I was hoping there would be something that could be done on the fly without having to regenerate bits, but looking into more documentation as well as your response seems like there really isn't any ability for me to do that.

Thanks again for the guidance.

0 Kudos