UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor lmadson
Visitor

Programming XC9500 (5V) CPLD

Jump to solution

Hello,

I posted theother day about my problem programming XC9500 (5V) CPLD's. What I am trying to do follows.

I need some help to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I need to program some XC5972 CPLD's. I used to be able to program them using a parallel cable. The cable will not work with my present laptop. I recently downloaded and installed ISE Webpack 14.7 on my Windows 7 computer. I also purchased a Digilent HS-2 USB programming cable. For some reason, I can not get Impact to program the CPLD using the JEDEC file.

I also read on both the Digilent website and in my IMPACT help files that the XC9500 (5V) parts are not supported by the Digilent HS-2 cable. If this is true, I need to go no further, and I will ask this question. Is the Xilinx HW-USB-II-G cable supported by the version of IMPACT supplied in ISE 14.7 for programming XC9500 (5V) parts?

Larry Madson

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Programming XC9500 (5V) CPLD

Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, 14.7 should support programming of these CPLD's with the HW-USB-II-G cable.

The datasheet of this User guide says the same - http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds300.pdf

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, 14.7 should support programming of these CPLD's with the HW-USB-II-G cable.

The datasheet of this User guide says the same - http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds300.pdf

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Larry,

what is the error message you see?

a small number of older XC9500 devices cannot be programmed with latest iMPACT. Specifically, any devices with a silicon version of "0000" or "0001" do not support the bulk erase algorithm used by iMPACT. These devices appear as "9500_unsupported" in latest iMPACT.

For this we have an workaround to use 3.1isp8 or 3.3i JTAG Programmer.

http://www.xilinx.com/tools/classics.htm

--Krishna

Visitor lmadson
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello,

I think we are close to a solution. What I am trying to do is use Impact as a stand alone programmer. Here is what I am doing and the results. I probably am doing something wrong, and there is a strong probability that the Digilent cable won't work.

1. Open Impact  - Image <ImpactA1.jpg>  I selected OK to automatically connect the cable

2. Cable connected CPLD identified - Image <ImpactA2.jpg> I selected yes

3. Select the JEDEC file, this is the only file in the directory - Image <ImpactA3.jpg> Selected the file

4. Instead of getting the IMPACT processes, I get the window as shown - Image <ImpactA4.jpg> SInce I didn't know what to do, I selected OK. Note: in the drop down menu "Operations" The only entry is "Access FUSE Registers"

5. Right click on the device and I get  - Image <ImpactA4.jpg> Clicking on "Set Programming Properties" sends me back to - Image <ImpactA3.jpg>, This seems to be a never ending loop. I can not perform any operations. Closed Impact

6. Tried to re-open IMPACT iget  - Image <ImpactA5.jpg>

I need some help to find out what I am doing wrong.

Note Images are in a zip file

Larry Madson

0 Kudos
Visitor lmadson
Visitor

Jump to solution

Purchased the USB Platform Cable, installed it and programmed the part - no problem.  Success!

Thanks

Larry Madson

0 Kudos