cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

XC9536 Substitute

I'm trying to find a Xilinx IC that I could use as a substitute for the XC9536.

The big thing is it needs to be able to use our existing firmware.

It's doesn't really matter if the pin out is different.

Our situation is that we have older equipment and the original programmer is no longer around.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: XC9536 Substitute

j,

That will be an issue.  Newer product (Coolrunner II) is a good replacement, but you have to retarget the HDL to the part (it is not bit by bit compatible for programming).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I was continuing to look for substitutes and I did find XC9536XL which looks like it's the same thing as

XC9536 except that it's 3.3 V.

Do you have any idea whether or not the XL version would be able to use the same firmware?

Also cannot be programmed with the same programming pod?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

@jamess wrote:

I was continuing to look for substitutes and I did find XC9536XL which looks like it's the same thing as

XC9536 except that it's 3.3 V.

Do you have any idea whether or not the XL version would be able to use the same firmware?

Also cannot be programmed with the same programming pod?

The 9536XL is powered by 3.3v (Vint), the 9536 uses 5.0v (Vint).  The good news is that the XL will interface with 5 volt logic.  The bad news is that the 9536XL is NOT pin compatible with the 9536.  You will have to redesign your board.  However, the same programming cable can be used to program both parts.  But, the 9536's data stream (firmware) will NOT work in the XL part.  You must resynthesize your VHDL or Verilog and target the XL part instead.  Hopefully you have the original source or that you can recreate it.  Good luck!