UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Artix-7 does not reconfigure itself properly at a short power dip

Jump to solution

This question is about the Xilinx Artix-7 (XC7A75T-2FTG256I) FPGA.

*From our customer*
"
We see a problem where the FPGA does not reconfigure itself properly at a short power dip.
What we observe is that the DONE pin becomes low during the dip, and remains low after the dip.
If we reconfigure the PROGRAM_B pin again after the dip, the FPGA will reconfigure itself.

I have added the relevant part of the diagram.

Measurements/tests we have done:

• Power supply voltages during dip where the problem occurs.
    o See supply voltages.png: CH1: 3V3, CH2: 3V3_VCCO, CH3: 1V8, CH4: 2V5.
    o During the dip, the VCCAUX, VCCBRAM and VCCINT, go to 0V. At VCCO a respiration of ~1V remains.
    If we discharge the VCCO during the power dip we don't see the problem. We do not see this as a structural solution, because we do not understand the problem.
    o If we look at the SPI lines of the configuration flash we see no activity on it when the problem occurs.
  • Program_b
    o See program_b.png: CH1: 3V3, CH2: 3V3_VCCO, CH3: Progam_b, CH4: 2V5
    o Program_b is operated by the supply supervisor. We see that this goes down nicely when the supplys are out of regulation and 10ms after everything is up again.
  • Init_b
    o See program_b-and-init_b.png: CH1: 3V3, CH2: 3V3_VCCO, CH3: Progam_b, CH4: INIT_B
    o Based on UG470 (Table 2-4; note on PROGRAM_B text) we tried to keep both program_b and init_b low during the dip event. Unfortunately this also has no effect

Could you help us with the following questions?

• What can make the FPGA not execute a POR sequence / not reconfigure itself?
    o Keep PROGRAM_B and INIT_B low should trigger a POR?

"

I already try to explain some of the issues:
POR is not the same as pulling the PROGRAM_B
POR starts at phase1, doing some housekeeping,
while pulling PROGRAM_B returns to phase2 and assume the Artix-7 is in a well defined state.

In my opinion it is not after a power dip, besides this Vcco is not completely down and causing issues as the have noticed themselves. Should be parasitic supply from Vcco to other internal rails disturbing a correct POR.

I already asked for the minimum down-times, although not specified by Xilinx, this can give us some clues.

Although an Artix-7 is involved I am not convinced that it is a real Xilinx problem,
I think it is out of specification and they should rework their power supply.

- After I asked some info an had a talk with him here's the answer from our customer:

"

The power dip takes about 200~250ms, during this time the Vccint, Vccbram and Vccaux are below 0.5V (for about 150ms~200ms they are almost 0V).
Risk time per power supply is 1ms and delay between each power supply is 20ms.

We don't have to perform a real POR so much.
Our initial idea was to start a reconfiguration by toggling program_b (as in figure 5-5 in ug470),
because the voltages have fallen below the minimum data retention voltages.
Either program_b low when the power supplies are too low and program_b high when the power supplies are 20ms (high) stable.

According to table 2-4 of ug470 program_b edge is triggered, FPGA configuration is cleared on falling edge and reloaded on rising edge. The problem is that the voltages at the time when we pull the program_b low are outside spec.

"

Does Xilinx have a reference design how to deal with short power dips,
or reconfiguration after 1 or more power rails have fallen away?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
Andrea

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Artix-7 does not reconfigure itself properly at a short power dip

Jump to solution

Hi @andreac_avnet

Holding INIT_B pin to low during power-up can delay the power-on configuration of the FPGA. 

I will recommend holding only INIT_B pin to low on power up and release it after power supplies become stable.

Note: Holding PROGRAM_B Low from power-on does not keep the FPGA configuration in reset. Instead, use INIT_B to delay the power-on configuration sequence.

Regards,
Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Artix-7 does not reconfigure itself properly at a short power dip

Jump to solution

Hi @andreac_avnet

Holding INIT_B pin to low during power-up can delay the power-on configuration of the FPGA. 

I will recommend holding only INIT_B pin to low on power up and release it after power supplies become stable.

Note: Holding PROGRAM_B Low from power-on does not keep the FPGA configuration in reset. Instead, use INIT_B to delay the power-on configuration sequence.

Regards,
Bhushan

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.