UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Limit on number of bootable bitsream revisions stored in SPI flash for Kintex Ultrascale

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Visitor
Accepted Solution

Limit on number of bootable bitsream revisions stored in SPI flash for Kintex Ultrascale

Hello,

I have a generic question : I would like to know if there is any limit as such on the number of bitstream revisions that can be stored/programmed in to an SPI flash ?

To be more specific, we are planning to use 1 Gb SPI flash in association with Kintex XCKU40. Given that the bitstream size is around 120 Mb at max for this FPGA, we intend to store 8 different bitstreams in the SPI flash and boot into the desired one as and when requested by the user. Please let me know if there would be any problems with this approach ? 

PS : I am only asking this as with our current FPGA (Virtex 6), the maximum number of revisions is limited to 4 with BPI flash.

Thanks,

Raju

Accepted Solutions

Re: Limit on number of bootable bitsream revisions stored in SPI flash for Kintex Ultrascale

Hi Raju,

since you have the selection of the address for the spi flash to multiboot through ICAP, you can have all the bitstreams.

BPI flash uses two revision select pins from fpga address pins[msb] so you had lmitation of 4 bistream

spi flash  doesn't use the revision select pins for spi configuration

View solution in original post

All Replies
Scholar

Re: Limit on number of bootable bitsream revisions stored in SPI flash for Kintex Ultrascale

the limit is , apart from the size

how are you going to select which one to boot off of,

Visitor

Thanks for your reply !

I have 4 IO lines, which I can use to boot/switch to the required bitstream using ICAP.

Coming back to my question : So, as long as the SPI flash is big enough to hold all my bitstreams I shouldn't have problems creating mcs file, programming the SPI flash or booting into the requested bit stream ?

Thanks,

Raju

Hi Raju,

since you have the selection of the address for the spi flash to multiboot through ICAP, you can have all the bitstreams.

BPI flash uses two revision select pins from fpga address pins[msb] so you had lmitation of 4 bistream

spi flash  doesn't use the revision select pins for spi configuration