UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Spartan 6 indirect SPI Flash programming ID Check Failed

Accepted Solution Solved
Visitor
Accepted Solution

Spartan 6 indirect SPI Flash programming ID Check Failed

Hello,

I am unable to indirectly program the SPI flash using the Impact emulator.  

Spartan 6 - XC6SLX42TQG144C

ISE 14.7

SPI Flash W25X40CL

I have found that the SPI flash W25X40BV is supported and I believe the" CL" that is populated is most likely a newer version of flash as they have the same specs, manufacturer and device ID codes.  On power up the Spartan 6 attempts to boot from SPI flash seen by read command followed by all 0xff due to unconfigured flash, thus I don't believe that actually booting will be an issue.  When trying to communicate with the SPI flash the IMAPCT tool chain returns "ID Check failed" for any command; it can be seen the Spartan only sends 0x9F (Dev ID read) via 8 clock pulses and then CS rises and no more data is clocked out and fails to read ID, no chance to read out data as the bus is disabled by chip select. 

Scope captures; CH1 - SSN, CH2-SCLK, CH3-MISO, CH4-MOSI

Please find attached circuit for FPGA portion of design, offpage signals removed due to NDA and decoupling capacitors on power page not shown (meets/exceeds hardware decoupling design).

The impact log is as follow:

INFO:iMPACT - Current time: 2015-05-04 1:27:32 PM
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Maximum TCK operating frequency for this device chain: 25000000.
Validating chain...
Boundary-scan chain validated successfully.
'1': IDCODE is '9d' (in hex).
'1': ID Check failed.
INFO:iMPACT:2488 - The operation did not complete successfully.
INFO:iMPACT - SPI Device not found.
INFO:iMPACT:2488 - The operation did not complete successfully.
INFO:iMPACT - '1': Flash was not programmed successfully.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time = 0 sec.

I have looked through the forums and have not found anything that resolved this issue.  

*Verified all power rails were up and in working order; VCCINT = 1.15V VCC = 3.24V.

*depopulating HSWAPEN - no effect.

*replaced HSWAPEN pull-down resistor with 0R - no effect.

*Verified that all signals are present - SPI SSN, SCLK, MOSI, and MISO

*Verified power supply is not affected during indirect programming and is ~3.3V stable.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

-Neil

Accepted Solutions

Re: Spartan 6 indirect SPI Flash programming ID Check Failed

Hi @neilhindle23,

Can you try setting the variable

XIL_IMPACT_SKIPIDCODECHECK=1 which instructs the iMPACT tool to bypass the ID check, allowing the programming operation to proceed.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

All Replies
Instructor

Sometimes when I have problems with indirect SPI programming, I go back to ISE 13.4 iMPACT.  You can download the 13.4 Lab Tools to try this.  Unless it doesn't support the device I'm using, I have found 13.4 to be more stable.  It should have the "BV" version of the W25X40.

-- Gabor

Hi @neilhindle23,

Can you try setting the variable

XIL_IMPACT_SKIPIDCODECHECK=1 which instructs the iMPACT tool to bypass the ID check, allowing the programming operation to proceed.

-Pratham

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Visitor

Hey @pratham,
This resolved the issue, thank you. I tried this previously but after adding the User variable to the Environment Variables I did not restart the computer, only restarted ISE and impact.
Thanks again,
-Neil