UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer panospet
Observer

Wah effect in sysgen!

Hello, 

I'm trying to implement some audio effects in xilinx system generator for dsp. One of them is the wah effect, which is in general a band pass filter which goes up and down in the frequency domain continuously.

My idea is to implement this using some parallel filters and a multiplexer that changes the signal to pass from one to another during simulation. As I see, if I want to use many filters (up to 10), I have increased cost in my implementation, which may cause lag problems lately, working on my fpga (want to work in real time).

Is there any way to make this run with reloadable coefficients with just one FIR Compiler block?

thank you in advance.

PS. I currently use the "From Workspace" block to import my audio signal, created with the "wavread" command.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Wah effect in sysgen!

hi,

working in parallel with the filters is indeed a novel idea but it will take more resource and less time obviously..So you can use virtex family of FPGA's in this case to overcome the resource problem aslo u can use recursive algorithms to curtail your resource usage...so its upto u how u take up the solution..

best regards

Chandra 

Best Regards
Chandrajit
0 Kudos
Observer panospet
Observer

That was exactly my question...! A simple explanation of how can I use a recursive algorithm. Maybe with the reloadable coefficients port? how does this work.

I'm aboun to use a Virtex II - XUP board.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Is there a reason you're wanting to do a bunch of parallel filters rather than a single filter structure and reloading the coefficients to get the different passband frequencies? It seems like this would be a huge waste of resources and the fidelity would not be as good either because of the constant switching.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Observer panospet
Observer

No, the only reason I use the parallel filters, is that I don't know how to use the reloadable coefficients input!

0 Kudos
Observer panospet
Observer

I mean, is there any way I can make the pass band filter moving uniformly during the time with the reloadable coefficients way?
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Well actually, I believe wah filters are typically implemented as IIR peaking/resonating filters (obviously, this isn't something that the FIR core will help you with). Usually 2nd order does the trick just fine.

Start here:

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/realsimple/faust_strings/Adding_Wah_Pedal.html

Have a look a the sysgen IIR demos. Modifying those to use reloadable coefficients would be nearly trivial.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos