UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

FIR core and fixed point notation in the wizard

Accepted Solution Solved
Adventurer
Accepted Solution

FIR core and fixed point notation in the wizard

[ Edited ]

When setting up a FIR core, it asks how many bits the input has and how many are fractional bits. The guides talk about this like FIX_15_8 and UFIX_8_8.

But suppose that I have signed 16-bit data which is supposed to be a value between -1 and 1. Does this mean the format would be FIX_16_16? Or FIX_15_15? Or even FIX_16_15?

I generated a FIR core using 16 bits input and told it I had 16 bits for the fractional value. Is this correct, or should this be 16 bit wide input with 15 bits fractional data (as the first bit is a sign bit)?

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: FIR core and fixed point notation in the wizard

If the data is in the range of [-1, 1), use FIX_16_15. The fixed point data should be in the 2's complement format.

cyberwizzard wrote:

When setting up a FIR core, it asks how many bits the input has and how many are fractional bits. The guides talk about this like FIX_15_8 and UFIX_8_8.

But suppose that I have signed 16-bit data which is supposed to be a value between -1 and 1. Does this mean the format would be FIX_16_16? Or FIX_15_15? Or even FIX_16_15?

I generated a FIR core using 16 bits input and told it I had 16 bits for the fractional value. Is this correct, or should this be 16 bit wide input with 15 bits fractional data (as the first bit is a sign bit)?

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

All Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If the data is in the range of [-1, 1), use FIX_16_15. The fixed point data should be in the 2's complement format.

cyberwizzard wrote:

Cheers,
Jim
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the clarification.

Since the result is 2's complement (like the input), am I correct in assuming the result (without integer components, which should be zero) can be reassembled into signed 16-bit (FIX_16_15) by using the first bit for the sign, followed by the first 15 bits of the fractional part?

If so, I am wondering why I get a DC offset from the filters...

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The output is in 2's complement as well. There is no need to reassemble.

cyberwizzard wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.

Since the result is 2's complement (like the input), am I correct in assuming the result (without integer components, which should be zero) can be reassembled into signed 16-bit (FIX_16_15) by using the first bit for the sign, followed by the first 15 bits of the fractional part?

If so, I am wondering why I get a DC offset from the filters...

Cheers,
Jim
Adventurer

Perhaps I used the wrong wording.

My input is FIX_16_15 and since the filter coefficients should prevent an integer result, I want a FIX_16_15 result from the FIR filter.

Since the output is something like FIX_58_48 due to bit growth, I was planning on using the first bit and the first 15 fractional bits to create a FIX_16_15 result again (similar to the input). But since I'm not getting the expected results I was wondering if that idea was wrong.

On the other hand, if I could force the FIR generator to create FIX_16_15 output in the first place that would suffice as well.