UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

First FFT Bin Empty?

Accepted Solution Solved
Visitor
Accepted Solution

First FFT Bin Empty?

Hi all,

I am working on a simple design in System Generator to become familiar with the Simulink. I am using matlab 2016b and Vivado 2017.2, and I seem to be running into a strange problem when using the Fast Fourier Transform 9.0 IP.  For some reason my first bin is always empty, but the bins after are correct. The data valid signal is asserted during the first bin so I am confused.

Here is my design (You can ignore the lines to the right, they're unrelated.)

Design

And the signals:

Waveforms

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: First FFT Bin Empty?

@jacob.boline all that's needed is the sum of one full cycle to add up to zero (which is what the DFT does). You can calculate it yourself from the data you but your waveform looks pretty symmetric so I'd say it has no DC.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Teacher

@jacob.boline if you are generating a perfect sinusoid, first bin should be empty because your signal has no dc component.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Visitor

How perfect of a sinusoid are you saying? Mine looks like this:

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Teacher

@jacob.boline all that's needed is the sum of one full cycle to add up to zero (which is what the DFT does). You can calculate it yourself from the data you but your waveform looks pretty symmetric so I'd say it has no DC.

Visitor

Awesome, thanks.