UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

7 Series MIG ILA and VIO cores not generated ?

Jump to solution

Hi all, I want to debug my customized MIG core using ChipScope (DDR3). I have enabled debug generation in the IP GUI, but it only generates the needed VHDL code and instances of both the ILA and the VIO, but no synthesizable/implementable cores. Does this mean that this ILA and VIO cores need to be generated separately ? (in which case why does the GUI ask for a buffer depth). I noticed that it also "marked for debug" various signals, enabling me to generate the ILA core with the "Set up Debug" Vivado Feature, but I don't want to do this, I want to use the instances of the cores and connect them in the HDL.

I'm using Vivado 2013.4.

Another thing, does a current licence for ChipScope work for Vivado Logic Analyzer ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: 7 Series MIG ILA and VIO cores not generated ?

Jump to solution

Hi,

After genarting the core, if you right clock on .xci and genarte example deisgn all the cores will be genarted and you should be able to see them in hierarchy, can you confirm if you do not see this in example design as well?

Edit

MIG_ILA.png

The depth in GUI refers to the same cores and the list of signals will be given in hardware debug guide

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43879.html

The ILA cores that come with example deisgn are mainly for Calibration failure issues.

If your custom board calibrates successfully and wanted to analyze other signals you may generate the ILAs and add them to RTL

If you are using VSystem edition I think Chipscope is free for other licenses please share your license file so that one of us will look at it and comment, else you may check the chipscope license feature in License Manager as well

Hope this helps

Regards,

Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,
Please check the insert flow @ http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2013_4/ug936-vivado-tutorial-programming-debugging.pdf
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

After genarting the core, if you right clock on .xci and genarte example deisgn all the cores will be genarted and you should be able to see them in hierarchy, can you confirm if you do not see this in example design as well?

Edit

MIG_ILA.png

The depth in GUI refers to the same cores and the list of signals will be given in hardware debug guide

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43879.html

The ILA cores that come with example deisgn are mainly for Calibration failure issues.

If your custom board calibrates successfully and wanted to analyze other signals you may generate the ILAs and add them to RTL

If you are using VSystem edition I think Chipscope is free for other licenses please share your license file so that one of us will look at it and comment, else you may check the chipscope license feature in License Manager as well

Hope this helps

Regards,

Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
Visitor maxbaker
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

Is there a way to re-generate the .xci's for the VIO and ILA on the example design from the command line?

I'm trying to automate the integration of MIG into our flow, with the option to add or remove the debug portion.

Thanks,

-m

0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Jump to solution

For ILA take a look at this thread:http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Implementation/Is-it-possible-to-disable-ILA-not-delete-in-Vivado/m-p/472166#M9419

All of the commands I put in the XDC file can be put straight into the command line.  Or you can create the separate XDC file for the ILA probes as I did, and enable and disable that file from the command line.  Your choice.

VIO is a little different in that it has to be synthesized in, but assuming you have the VIO IP already in your design, you can enable and disable it in the same way.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Visitor maxbaker
Visitor

Jump to solution
Excellent, thanks Daniel, I'll have a look.
0 Kudos