UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Add Sources edif netlist

Hi,

I'm trying to add an edif netlist in my project.  I am following the methodology described in AR# 54074:

write_edif module.edf
write_verilog -mode synth_stub module_stub.v

Add both module.edf and module_stub.v to the project.

If I use Add Sources with only module_stub.v then Add Module works (I can add a black-box module in my project).

But if I use Add Sources with module.edf and module_stub.v (as written in the AR above) then the Add Module window is empty (cannot add module in my project).

Could you please explain what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jacques

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Add Sources edif netlist

By saying "the Add Module window is empty", do you mean you could not select the two files when you perform Add Sources operation? Can you illustrate the problem?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Graces,

Yes the Add Module window doesn't show the 2 files (module.edf and module_stub.v) when they are both added as sources.

But when I disable "Hide incompatible modules", I can see them grayed out with the following error message:

Failed to uniquely resolve reference. Multiple different modules were found that match the name 'module'.

Jacques

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

What Vivado release are you using? Would you please attach the two files so that I can try to reproduce the issue?

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I am using 2018.2.

Cannot give you the files.  They come from 3rd party IP vendor so they are confidential.

What I see is that there is a module name conflict between module.edf and module_stub.v.

This is at the top of the module.edf file:

(edif module_name
(edifversion 2 0 0)
(edifLevel 0)
(keywordmap (keywordlevel 0))

This is the module_stub.v file:

// This empty module with port declaration file causes synthesis tools to infer a black box for IP.
// The synthesis directives are for Synopsys Synplify support to prevent IO buffer insertion.
// Please paste the declaration into a Verilog source file or add the file as an additional source.

module module_name (

Jacques

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello Graces,

I'm coming back to you with a simple test case attached (8-bit adder).

Using "Add Module" with the .edf and .v files doesn't work.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jacques

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I can see both files in Add Sources window. They also display in Sources window after being added.

What's the specific problem at your end?

add_src.png

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

The problem occcurs when adding the module in the block design with the command Add Module.

The Add Module window is emply but these 2 files show up as incompatible modules.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

OK, so you're talking about a different flow of adding RTL module to block design. Below is referenced from UG994.

The Add Module dialog box also provides a Hide incompatible modules check box that is enabled by default. This hides module definitions in the loaded source files that do not meet the requirements of the Module Reference feature and, consequently, cannot be added to the block design.
You can uncheck this check box to display all RTL modules defined in the loaded source files, but you will not be able to add all modules to the block design. Examples of modules that you might see when deselecting this option include:
° Files that have syntactical errors
° Modules with missing sources
° Module definitions that contain or refer to an EDIF netlist, a DCP file, another block design, or unsupported IP

It looks adding wrapper that refers to a netlist is not supported.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello Graces,

Thanks for the reply.  I got misguided by AR#54074:

Capture.PNG

Jacques

0 Kudos