UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie vivdxd

Alternative to VHDL array of string? - loading memory initialization file

It seems XST does not support VHDL 2008 yet?  I am trying to pass memory initialization file name as a generic, and use generate statement to instantiate the a large number of memory modules in my design.  Each RAM block has a unique initialization file.

Naturally if I could define the initialization file names in an array, I can loop through the array in a generate statement.  It seems VHDL 2008 allows this.  Otherwise I need to explicitly type out all the RAM instantiation?

Could someone give me some tips on alternatives?  I am sure I am not the first one running into this problem.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

Re: Alternative to VHDL array of string? - loading memory initialization file

"It seems XST does not support VHDL 2008 yet?"
Correct.

If this is a 'compile-time' operation (as I think it must be meant to be), you probably could read the list of memory initialization files from a 'master' file.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos