UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Change colors on Vivado

Jump to solution

Hi,

Since we use Vivado for many hours each day, using a low impact background color is very important for some of us.

However, while the background color is easily changed on the text editor, it is not available for changing (or I didn't find how to) for many of the main windows, most notably:

The IP integrator block diagram

Flow Navigator

The Hierarchy window

Source File properties

It would be very useful (and healthy) to be able to change the background of those windows.

BTW I am currently using Vivado 2017.1

Thanks!

Avi Chami MSc
FPGA Site
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Change colors on Vivado

Jump to solution

Hi @a_chami,

Thanks for the screenshot. I have sent this enhancement request to the factory through CR-982658 - 'Color Changing Parameter Option for GUI in Vivado' specifically for the mentioned areas: Flow Navigator, Sources, Source File Properties and Block Design Backgrounds.

This will be discussed by the factory for future release.

Thanks & Regards,
Prathik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tags (1)
19 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @a_chami,

There are few options to change colors of console, log, hierarchy view, schematic etc. in settings for 2017.1.

colors.PNG

colors2.PNG

To give a fair opinion on this, I believe the default color scheme in Vivado 2017.1 has some kind of a low background color to it, right? :)

stressful.PNG

Thanks & Regards,
Prathik
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@prahitkm,

Thanks for your response.

None of the background options in all the fields I tested affects the windows I mentioned, namely, the IP integrator block design, the Flow Navigator, etc.

The gray background of some of those windows is better than the pure white used by many other applications. But for the ip integrator block design, IMHO, is still too bright. And I usually spend a lot of time looking at the block design.

For Vivado text editor (and also for Chrome, and other applications), I use a soft green color. At the end of the day the difference when using this soft green, compared to white or light gray, is huge. This is obviouly a subjective opinion, and that is the reason the colors should be available as a parameter for each one to be able to customize for its own taste and reduced strain on the eyes.

Avi Chami MSc
FPGA Site

Jump to solution

Hi @a_chami,

>>and that is the reason the colors should be available as a parameter for each one to be able to customize for its own taste and reduced strain on the eyes.

Can you please attach some screen shots of the GUI which you think requires a color variable parameter and which can help users based on their need? This will help us understand better as to exactly which GUI areas you are mentioning.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks & Regards,
Prathik

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @prathikm,

Thanks for your response.

I have attached a screenshot. Some of the color options should control them... but I didn't see them having any effect.

viv_col.png

Avi Chami MSc
FPGA Site
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @a_chami,

Thanks for the screenshot. I have sent this enhancement request to the factory through CR-982658 - 'Color Changing Parameter Option for GUI in Vivado' specifically for the mentioned areas: Flow Navigator, Sources, Source File Properties and Block Design Backgrounds.

This will be discussed by the factory for future release.

Thanks & Regards,
Prathik

Tags (1)
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

@prathikm, some factory preset 'dark theme' would be great to have indeed, with many tools it's the first thing I do, change the default (white) theme to 'dark' 

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
Visitor tom21091
Visitor

Jump to solution

I second the Dark theme preset.

0 Kudos
Newbie rselma

Jump to solution

Ditto. After whole day of programming with both Vivado and Vivado HLS I want to claw my eyes out.

Eclipse got the dark theme right:

0 Kudos
Visitor nwc
Visitor

Jump to solution

And while you're at it; the zillions of different items to select colour for, is a way to time consuming and difficult way to do it.

Instead let me have the option to right-click any item/backgound on the screen, and then select what colour it should be in the future.

Also an export/inport function that work between versions of Vivado would be great... I tried to move my colour settings from Vivado 2015.2 to 2017.3.1 -> didn't work....

0 Kudos
Visitor nwc
Visitor

Jump to solution

Me too... even your https://www.xilinx.com/myprofile.html got that right :-D

0 Kudos
Observer mk.anton
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello. I was wondering, are there any updates on the Vivado background themes? Right now in 2017.4 all the problems discussed in this topic are still there. Any news on the "request to the factory through CR-982658 - 'Color Changing Parameter Option for GUI in Vivado' specifically for the mentioned areas: Flow Navigator, Sources, Source File Properties and Block Design Backgrounds" ? (the JIRA link doesn't seem to work).

Also I'd like to point out a few detected bugs, discovered while trying to change colors for a Dark Theme.

1. Just to give you an idea, I'm trying to make the text editor colors something like that:

viv_colors_02.jpg

However, whenever I restart the PC and re-launch Vivado, I get this:

viv_colors_01.jpg

As you can see, the color of 'Current Line Background' is displayed in default yellowish [255,255,215] color, even though the actual value in the Options is [64,64,64]. Need to manually change it to something like [64,64,65] for it to update and display the actual gray color again.

2. Also the black keyboard cursor is pretty much invisible on the dark background (hard to see even with highlight here):

viv_colors_03.jpg

3. Background for error (and sometimes warning) messages in Tcl console is wrong:

viv_colors_04.jpg

viv_colors_05.jpg

Somehow, the first character of the string is displayed correct, but the rest of the string has a default white background.

4. No color controls for "Simulation/Debug" session:

viv_colors_06.jpg

Can't see text on line 66  due to default yellow background.

P.S.: Vivado v2017.4 (64-bit), OS Win7 64-bit

Visitor denis77
Visitor

Jump to solution

Yes, dark background is pretty much unusable because cursor is not visible.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
I found it's best to use a light theme and invert colors.
vivado_dark.png
Visitor joshkleiner
Visitor

Jump to solution

philip.neighbour@welkinsciences.com wrote:
I found it's best to use a light theme and invert colors.

How do you invert the colors?

Do you somehow apply this to the entire application?

I agree how there are a ton of "knobs" but it is hard to make it look good and many things are left out - all we really need is an additional theme or two that actually changes everything and people can also customize using the existing settings if they want to.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Newbie nhindle

Jump to solution

philip.neighbour@welkinsciences.com, Could you post your themes *.xmltheme file or contents?  It is located %APPDATA%\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado\2018.2\themes

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Newbie lyaa

Jump to solution

To invert the colors, you can change the settings of your system's compositor.

On linux, it's easy to choose some shortcut for inverting the active window. For example, check the "Desktop Effects" window for KWin if you are using KDE Plasma or the negative plugin for Compiz if you're using Gnome.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Visitor nruggier
Visitor

Jump to solution

While not the most elegant answer, its relatively simple to invert colors with the magnifying tool in Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFCv_5QiCg

cmd + '+' opens the magnifier

ctrl + alt + 'i' inverts colors

Within the magnifier GUI, select Views >> Fullscreen

Set the zoom to 100%

Minimize the GUI

You're screen is now inverted and not destroying your eyes.

Every wanted to quickly invert the colours in Windows 10 so you can read the screen in a dark room without getting eye strain? Well watch this video or do the following: 1. Hold "Win" and "+" 2. Wait 3 seconds 3. Press "ctrl" + "alt" + "i" If you enjoy quick tutorials without too much waiting ...
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

The problem with using the magnififer in full screen to invert the colors is that all my other dark themes are now blindingly bright. Hopefully a dark theme will be added to a future version of vivado.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

For thos who have asked, i invert colors useing this extesion (for Ubuntu):

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1041/invert-window-color/

Also attached is a picture I use for the waveform colors.

vivado_waveform_colors.png
0 Kudos