UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

DRAM Speed effect on Compilation Time

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Visitor
Accepted Solution

DRAM Speed effect on Compilation Time

Hi,

I am going to configure a new PC for running Vivado Tools. My main considerations is the simulation speed (say 50%), and Synthesis* (say another 50%). I know that FPGA compilation needs high IPC count, DRAM capacity and MBs of LL Cache. However, I do not know how the DRAM speed is related to the compilation time.

Currently, I have to decide between 2400MHz and 3000MHz DDR4-DRAM speed values. The reason I am asking is due to the motherboard selection (I have already selected the DRAM model). Motherboard A supports 2400MHz max DRAM speed, motherboard B supports 3000MHz max DRAM speed. Motherboard B is 40% more expensive than A.

So, what is the compilation time reduction that I could probably notice if using the 3000MHz DRAM relative to the 2400MHz DRAM? Should it be 0% reduction? ~5% reduction? more? Does the motherboard B selection worths?

*= usually I do not use OOC mode.

Accepted Solutions
Teacher

Re: DRAM Speed effect on Compilation Time

@psathas the memory speed also contributes to price of a system so it's not just the motherboard price. Suppose higher speed memory makes your system run 1% faster (underestimate maybe 2-3%). Calculate the amount of time you would save by not waiting over 3 years of use of this sytem and see if it saves you enough money by making you more productive. I bet you will find that even at 1% a couple hundred dollars extra over the lifetime of a system is worth it.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Teacher

@psathas the memory speed also contributes to price of a system so it's not just the motherboard price. Suppose higher speed memory makes your system run 1% faster (underestimate maybe 2-3%). Calculate the amount of time you would save by not waiting over 3 years of use of this sytem and see if it saves you enough money by making you more productive. I bet you will find that even at 1% a couple hundred dollars extra over the lifetime of a system is worth it.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Visitor

Hi muzaffer,

I think you are right. A system with an 1% more speed maybe worths the fast motherboard in terms of productivity over 3 years. So I have ordered the fast MB and I will check the difference.

I will make a test running the DRAM at different speeds and check the results. I will come back with the results when I have the system ready.

Thanks.

Visitor

Hi,

Just made 2 small tests regarding the compilation time versus DRAM speed.

Test1: Compile an example design project with MB using DDR4-2133MHz.

Test2: Compile an example design project with MB using DDR4-3000MHz.

Each test was initiated after a system reboot using Vivado 15.4 and Virtex-Ultrascale VCU108 Microblaze Example Design Project, and repeated 3 times (6 system reboots in total, 3 for the test1 and 3 for the test2).

Results:

test1: 292 seconds (average)

test2: 283 seconds (average)

System setup: i5-7600K, 16GB RAM, Ubuntu Linux 17.

Performance improvement for DDR4-3000MHz was ~3% relative to the DDR4-2133MHz.