UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jocc
Visitor

Design flow for vhdl module with multiple instances of multiplier?

Hello,

I need to generate a VHDL module which receives 2 inputs and returns 1 output, wich results on the computations made over the inputs. The module is defined:

entity mult2_varbitQ is
Generic(    
    Q_a : integer := 2;
    Q_b : integer := 2;
    Q_p : integer := 2
);
Port (  
    a : in std_logic_vector((Q_a-1) downto 0);
    b : in std_logic_vector((Q_b-1) downto 0);
    p : out std_logic_vector((Q_p-1) downto 0)
);
end mult2_varbitQ;

Q generics are defined as the number of quantization bits that I am going to use.

Inside the module I need also to instantiate a set of multiplers to perform the operations I want. I am using the simple multiplier present in the IP Catalog. The number of quantization bits shall also be used to configure the input and output bits of the multipliers. I want to make this flexible, having a file with the configuration values like Q and number of multipliers. 

With old ISE (even if it's not the correct way) I would generate, using a external program (using C for instance), the VHDL code to the module, then inside the xilinx project I would generate the multiplier ip and add the auto generated file, using the config file.

With vivado and powerfull TCL I see another option:

I generate the multiplier core using tcl, and use set_property command to change the input bits according to the configuration file. Then, using the Block Design to connect all of my components, I will end up with a block design with my module.

I can also use TCL to generate VHDL code to my module and at the same time to generate the multiplier IP Core that I want to use.

Can you give me some feedback on this subject, about which is the best way to generate a system based on a configuration file, using generics.

Thanks

0 Kudos