Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Designing with UltraScale - HDL Coding Techniques: Looking for Documentation

Jump to solution

Hello, I'm taking a Xilinx On Demand course: Designing with Ultrascale and am currently in the HDL Coding Techniques. I wanted to ask the members if there is any further documentation on HDL Coding for Ultrascale devices.

coding.jpg

Thank you,

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Designing with UltraScale - HDL Coding Techniques: Looking for Documentation

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

I think will find UG949 (especially Chapter 3) to be helpful with HDL Coding.

Cheers,
Mark

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Designing with UltraScale - HDL Coding Techniques: Looking for Documentation

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

I think will find UG949 (especially Chapter 3) to be helpful with HDL Coding.

Cheers,
Mark

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hello, quick question for you concerning Reset signals. Am I to understand that the new recommendation is that your resets should be Active High and not Active Low? My System Reset on my Custom Board is Active Low, so is it correct to say that I should run it through a Inverter on my FPGA so that all Resets are Active High?

Thank you,

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Most components in Xilinx FPGAs have active-high resets.  So, using active-high resets (instead of action-low resets) will use less FPGA resources.

There is lots to think about when it comes to resets.  My 08-13-2019 post in the following thread summarizes my thoughts on resets.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Versal-and-UltraScale/Impact-of-design-wide-asynchronous-resets-on-performance/m-p/1007016

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hello and thank you for responding to my post. Most people use an Active Low Reset so it will be a little difficult getting people to change when they are using an Ultrascale+ device. What if I run the Active Low Reset through two flip flops this would synchronize the reset to the system clock, would that be an option? Or, is it just better to invert the reset and use it as an Active High reset?

Would below be okay if areset_n is passed through two fliip flops?

always @ (posedge clk or negedge areset_n)
if (~areset_n)
data_buf <= 0;
else
data_buf <= data;

If areset is active high is the below okay?

always @ (posedge clk)
if (areset)
data_buf <= 0;
else
data_buf <= data;

Thank you,

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Traditionally active low reset was used as holding something at VCC drew less power than holding it at GND. so making signals active low would draw less power. But I think those days are mostly past. Other than required interfaces (AXI!) eveything is active high, and everyone I know uses active high reset.

FPGAs have had active high resets for as long as ive been in industry and even the ASIC work I did was using all active high reset. The reason active low reset still persists is the historical workthats out there and everyone learns by example, and a lot of people rarely update their examples. (Active low reset still makes sense on a circuit board for the power reasons, but inside a chip its signal transistions that eat all the power).

Dont bother inverting the resets manually. Inverting signals is effectively free in an FPGA. Each slice has the option to invert a signal on input, so if you have an active low reset in the code, the compiler will just invert the reset into the slice.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Joe,

As Richard and you say, many boards have resets that are active-low.  However, almost all resets in the FPGA are active-high.  So, when your active-low board reset enters the FPGA, I recommend that you immediately invert it (with a LUT) before using it inside the FPGA.

Further, resets need to undergo and pass timing analysis.  To help a reset pass timing analysis, it is common to route the reset signal through a component called a reset-synchronizer (aka reset-bridge).   

The reset-synchronizer looks like the 2-flip-flop synchronizer that you have probably used when crossing data from one clock-domain to another clock-domain.  However, the reset-synchronizer is not the same as the 2-flip-flop synchronizer (see <this> post for details).  For active-high resets, the reset-synchronizer passes the reset-rising-edge through asynchronously (ie. immediately) but passes the reset-falling-edge through synchronously and with a delay of N clock cycles where N is the number of flip-flops used to build the reset-synchronizer.

To ensure that the reset-synchronizer is implemented properly in Vivado, we must set the property, ASYNC_REG=TRUE, for each digital register used to build the reset-synchronizer.   -and sometimes we place a set_false_path constraint on the path coming into the reset-synchronizer.

Xilinx provides a macro called XPM_CDC_ASYNC_RST (see page 9 of UG974(v2019.2)).  This macro makes it easy to place reset-synchronizers in your design.  Also, this macro writes the necessary ASYNC_REG=TRUE constraints for you.

In summary:

• Inside the FPGA, invert your active-low reset to make it active-high.
  • For each clock-domain in your design, create an instance of XPM_CDC_ASYNC_RST. 
  • Send your active-high reset to each instance of XPM_CDC_ASYNC_RST.
  • The output of each XPM_CDC_ASYNC_RST is the reset for the associated clock-domain.  That is, you can use the output of XPM_CDC_ASYNC_RST as an active-high reset in your Verilog processes.
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Wow! Thank you very for the detailed response. In these days with the super complex devices I may be a "newbie" until I retire.

Respectfully,

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hello, I like using the Block Design tool for my designs, it is easier to see what is happening. So, can I make a module with the macro and pass in the active low reset and then output the active high and then use that reset in my design? Here is my module:
module reset_sync(
                    input dest_clk,
                    input src_arst,
                    output dest_arst
                );

//xpm_cdc_async_rst:AsynchronousResetSynchronizer
//Xilinx Parameterized Macro,version2018.1
xpm_cdc_async_rst#(
.DEST_SYNC_FF(4),       //DECIMAL;range:2-10
.INIT_SYNC_FF(0),       //DECIMAL;0=disablesimulationinitvalues,1=enablesimulationinitvalues
.RST_ACTIVE_HIGH(0)     //DECIMAL;0=activelowreset,1=active highreset
)
xpm_cdc_async_rst_inst(
            .dest_arst(dest_arst), //1-bitoutput:src_arstasynchronousresetsignalsynchronizedtodestination
         //clockdomain.Thisoutputisregistered.NOTE:Signalassertsasynchronously
         //butdeassertssynchronouslytodest_clk.Widthoftheresetsignalisatleast
         //(DEST_SYNC_FF*dest_clk)period.

.dest_clk(dest_clk), //1-bitinput:Destinationclock.          
   .src_arst(src_arst)  //1-bitinput:Sourceasynchronousresetsignal.

);

endmodule

reset_sync.jpg

The output would be an active high reset and I would write all my RTL module for active high inputs.

Am I on the right track here?

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

As @richardhead and markg@prosensing.com pointed out, most resets are active high.  There are a couple Xilinx IP that have active low resets, in particular, the FIR Compiler and the CIC Filter.  You could add an active high output to your block if you use these.  You might also want to look at the Processor System Reset IP which has both polarities and has controllable reset pulse widths.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@joe306 

I am not familiar with the Block Design method.  I am also not very familiar with Verilog. 

However, I do recognize your instantiation for the xpm_cdc_async_rst macro.  Currently, you have ".RST_ACTIVE_HIGH(0)", which means that the macro expects an active-low reset on the input and will produce an active-low reset on the output. 

If you want to use active-high resets in your design then you need to have ".RST_ACTIVE_HIGH(1)", and you need to send an active-high reset to the input of xpm_cdc_async_rst.  This means that you must invert your active-low board reset before sending it to the input of xpm_cdc_async_rst.

Finally, don't forget to always test new code (like this reset synchronizer) using Vivado simulation.

Cheers,
Mark

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Thank you very much. So I agree that one needs an Active High Reset. What I included and the image is that correct by using the macro? Or, should I inverted the reset and then run it through the macro?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@joe306 

Since you want active-high resets in your design, then you need to:

1) invert your active-low board reset and send it to "input src_arst" of your module.

2) use ".RST_ACTIVE_HIGH(1)" in the instantiation for xpm_cdc_async_rst

3) simulate your module to ensure it is doing what you want

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hello, thank you very much. I will make the change ".RST_ACTIVE_HIGH(1)".

Have a great day,
Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Thanks again!

0 Kudos