Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helmutforren
Scholar
Scholar

First Base with MIG on KC705 dev kit

Jump to solution

I will soon have a KC705 dev kit.  I want to end up with my own project and code accessing the DDR3 memory.  I can't find the starting point.  I tried taking an existing project for the same FPGA, and adding MIG.  But I have too many unanswered questions.

I downloaded a bunch of KC705 stuff from Xilinx, and I have an xdc file, but I do NOT appear to have an example project.  I also can't find doc for how to get my first test case running on the KC705.  The "Getting Started" pdf is about Video Demo and BIST test that seem to already be programmed into the KC705.  AH, but when I read that Getting Started anyway, it says that it includes reference designs (page 7).  But does that include example source code?

Can I find example source code somewhere?

Can I find doc that provides info I subsequently provide to MIG, such as the Memory Part# for which it asks, the Memory Voltage and Width (I guess, if custom part), THE INPUT CLOCK PERIOD TO USE, etc?  I'm at a total loss here...

Thanks,

Helmut

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher

@helmutforren have you seen this doc: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/kc705/2014_3/xtp196-kc705-mig-c-2014-3.pdf ?

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

Somewhere in the first page of customization for MIG should be a drop-down for selecting a dev board or kit.  There should be an item for KC705 that automatically fills in the correct board information.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
helmutforren
Scholar
Scholar

DOH!  But wait, I thought I remembered this after you said so, but now I can't find it.  I'm using Vivado 2015.2 and it's MIG 2.3.

Please help me find it!

1) I created a brand new project. https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/ek-k7-kc705-g.html says XC7K325T-2FFG900C.  The closest I could find was XC7K325TFFG900-2. Note I told initial wizard RTL project and to not add sources yet.

Project Settings.jpg

2) Then I immediately window / IP Catalog / ... / MIG.

MIG version 2.3.jpg

3) When I run it, I get these pages.

MIG page 1.jpg

>>>NOTE<<< I'm worried about post size.  I'm going to post this so far, then start with another post...

0 Kudos
helmutforren
Scholar
Scholar

There were no selections to be made on that prior screen.

4) The next screen looks like this:

MIG page 2.jpg

If I follow through after this, I see no place to provide dev kit.  If I change from "Create Design" to "Verify Pin Changes and Update Design", I do get the following:

MIG page 2-1.jpg

But when I click on "Browse", I get 

MIG page 2-1 crash.jpg

Did it just CRASH?  Is this the path I need to follow and I need to get around the crash?

Or do I need to follow a different path?

Note I was GOING to use k7-embedded-trd-rdf0283\hardware\sources\constraints\k7_emb_vdemo_top.xdc and k7_emb_vdemo_mig_a.prj.  But I couldn't get past Browse.

Although I didn't get a Windows 10 program crash message.  It just went away and I got the error message show.

If I click on User Guide in the bottom left corner, I get a Windows 10 program crash message.  I've found the UG786 for v2.4 separately, and it doesn't say how to pick a dev kit.

MEANWHILE I search k7-embedded_trd_rdf0283...  I find k7_emb_vdemo_top.v, but not even the first module instantiated, k7_emb_vdemo.

0 Kudos
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher

@helmutforren the devkit is selected while you create the project, through (parts or boards) option. Did you do this? MIG possibly picks up the board from the project definition.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
helmutforren
Scholar
Scholar

muzaffer,

Unfortunately, doing as you implied doesn't change anything.  I created a new project and specified the KC705 board rather than the corresponding Kintex-7 FPGA.  The screenshot below confirms this.

Project Properties.jpg

Then I immediately tried to add MIG.  It looks IDENTICAL going down the road, including the facts that:

1) If I choose the "Create Design" radio button, then the subsequent options page defaults to Memory Type "Components" rather than "SODIMMs".  This very strongly suggests that the MIG wizard is ignoring the board setting in the project.

2) if I choose "Verify Pin Changes and Update Design" radio button, I get the same crash when I try to browse.  Is this the path I need to follow and I need to get around the crash?

Or do I need to follow a different path?

0 Kudos
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher

@helmutforren have you seen this doc: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/kc705/2014_3/xtp196-kc705-mig-c-2014-3.pdf ?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
helmutforren
Scholar
Scholar

Why, no, I haven't!  Page 19 shows an answer to my original question on this post, about the Memory Part# to use.  I'll follow through with this at my next opportunity, including potentially marking your answer as the solution.

In the mean time, I didn't notice that xtp196-kc705-mic-c-2014-3.pdf on the website for docs associated with the KC705.  Did I miss it?  Or was it not there?  What I REALLY MEAN, is what other docs have I missed?  Do you know any?

Thanks,

Helmut

0 Kudos
vemulad
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @helmutforren

You will find all User guides and tutorials related to KC705 board here https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/ek-k7-kc705-g.html#documentation

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
helmutforren
Scholar
Scholar

Thanks.  Basically I just missed seeing this doc.  I knew about the page. 

PROBLEM: When I run the MIG generator, it crashes when I click on "Read XDC/UCF".  The window simply disappears and I get a "failed to generate" error from the Vivado GUI.  This is essentially the same behavior as before, when I clicked "Browse".  This is a MAJOR progress block.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
vemulad
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @helmutforren

This is a known issue on windows-8 and Windows-10 platforms.

As a workaround try the below steps:
1. Select "verify pin changes and update design" on first page and select the PRJ file.
2. Rather than browsing and selecting XDC file, type/copy-paste path to XDC.

If you dont have the PRJ file, generate the MIG IP once with default pinout. 

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
helmutforren
Scholar
Scholar

Deepika,

Thanks, I thought of that.  And what about the XTP196 MIG instructions for KC705 that want me to go all the way to "Fixed Pin Out" and then read XDC/UCF?  That also crashes.  Must I do create design and attempt to give the correct answers to match the KC705?

I'm using 2015.2 but hope to upgrade to a later version later.  Has it been fixed yet?  (Windows 10 was released July29, 2015.  Surely the newest version fixes this... ... ... ...)

-Helmut

0 Kudos