UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor xsasser
Visitor

How do I access the quad SPI through the SPI IP on data lines D4-7 after configuration?

Jump to solution

My design is using a Kintex Ultrascale part, xcku040-ffva1156. I am using two Micron N25Q256A SPI parts in my design for a x8 configuration. I am able to generate the required two bin files for programming. I can program both parts using the hardware manager. On power up configuration occurs properly with the two SPI parts and the design works. I have the AXI QUAD SPI IP in the design to be able to write to the SPI parts. It is configured with flash access through startup primitive selected.
The SPI IP provides a slave select output which I have connected to the other SPI part (qspi_fcs2_b, G26) not connected to the startup primitive. The other SPI part is connected to data pins D4-D7 (M20,L20,R21,R22). Using the C code (flash_qspi_rw.c) found xapp1280 I am able to program the SPI part that is connected to the startup primitive through the SPI IP using the Microblaze. However I cannot program or access the other flash. I changed the flash_qspi_rw.c to select bit 1 in the slave select register for the other flash but access does not seem to happen. I looked at the routing and it looks like there is no routing to data pins D4-D7. I also have no reference in my design connecting anything to data pins D4-D7. I assumed that the SPI IP was handling that.

So how are data pins D4-D7 supposed to be connected to allow access to the other flash?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How do I access the quad SPI through the SPI IP on data lines D4-7 after configuration?

Jump to solution
AXI Quad SPI IP supports x1,x2 & x4 modes only. To interface SPI IP in x8 mode, you should either make use of two AXI Quad SPI IPs or share one AXI Quad SPI IP between the two flashes and play with clock/CS to switch between the two IP while R/W.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How do I access the quad SPI through the SPI IP on data lines D4-7 after configuration?

Jump to solution
AXI Quad SPI IP supports x1,x2 & x4 modes only. To interface SPI IP in x8 mode, you should either make use of two AXI Quad SPI IPs or share one AXI Quad SPI IP between the two flashes and play with clock/CS to switch between the two IP while R/W.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos