UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer joelschad
Observer

How do I tell Vivado to treat signals as differential, and can I set this up in the Block Diagram editor?

Jump to solution

I have several fabric SPI blocks with signals that I want to be differential when they enter/leave the UltraScale+ IC.

In my block design, my MOSI and MISO signals are single-ended (I read that IP core signals are not differential), but I want the signals leaving/entering the US+ to be differential (MOSI_P/MOSI_N, MISO_P/MISO_N).

Questions:

1) How do I tell Vivado to treat these signals as differential?

2) I've read that I need to instantiate IBUFDS/OBUFDS primitives. Is this true, and if so, how do I bring these into the block diagram?

3) At what point in the design process do I need to tell Vivado these signals are differential?

Thanks!

single-ended_to_diff.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I tell Vivado to treat signals as differential, and can I set this up in the Block Diagram editor?

Jump to solution

@joelschad 

You can add utility buffer IP in the block diagram and customize it to be used as differential buffer. 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/util_ds_buf/v2_1/pb043-util-ds-buf.pdf

---Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Replies

Re: How do I tell Vivado to treat signals as differential, and can I set this up in the Block Diagram editor?

Jump to solution

@joelschad 

You can add utility buffer IP in the block diagram and customize it to be used as differential buffer. 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/util_ds_buf/v2_1/pb043-util-ds-buf.pdf

---Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
Observer joelschad
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks. Somehow I missed this.

0 Kudos