cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

How do I tell Vivado to treat signals as differential, and can I set this up in the Block Diagram editor?

Jump to solution

I have several fabric SPI blocks with signals that I want to be differential when they enter/leave the UltraScale+ IC.

In my block design, my MOSI and MISO signals are single-ended (I read that IP core signals are not differential), but I want the signals leaving/entering the US+ to be differential (MOSI_P/MOSI_N, MISO_P/MISO_N).

Questions:

1) How do I tell Vivado to treat these signals as differential?

2) I've read that I need to instantiate IBUFDS/OBUFDS primitives. Is this true, and if so, how do I bring these into the block diagram?

3) At what point in the design process do I need to tell Vivado these signals are differential?

Thanks!

single-ended_to_diff.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How do I tell Vivado to treat signals as differential, and can I set this up in the Block Diagram editor?

Jump to solution

@joelschad 

You can add utility buffer IP in the block diagram and customize it to be used as differential buffer. 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/util_ds_buf/v2_1/pb043-util-ds-buf.pdf

---Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: How do I tell Vivado to treat signals as differential, and can I set this up in the Block Diagram editor?

Jump to solution

@joelschad 

You can add utility buffer IP in the block diagram and customize it to be used as differential buffer. 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/util_ds_buf/v2_1/pb043-util-ds-buf.pdf

---Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thanks. Somehow I missed this.

0 Kudos