UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

How to create your own custom board files for Vivado?

Jump to solution

Is there any information available on how to create your own board files? i.e. to setup DDR4 memory, some fixed interfaces on the board, have drop down boxes for LEDs, switches, other interfaces, ... 

In general I can see 3 files associated with (eval) boards like the Zedboard, Picozed, ZCU102, ...  :

* board.xml

* part0_pins.xml

* preset.xml

So I'm looking for info on the syntax, naming conventions, all possible parameters that can be put into these files, ... . Are there any templates to start from, or do people start from an eval board that resembles a bit your own board, or ... ?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How to create your own custom board files for Vivado?

Jump to solution

@ronnywebers

Check Appendix A in below UG:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_3/ug895-vivado-system-level-design-entry.pdf#page=100 

You can take existing board files in the XIlinx install directory as reference :

<install_dir>/Vivado/<version>/data/boards/board_files/

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tags (1)
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi Ronny,

I havn't created board files before.  However, I see that Appendix-A of UG895 has quite a lot of information.

Cheers,

Mark

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@ronnywebers

Check Appendix A in below UG:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_3/ug895-vivado-system-level-design-entry.pdf#page=100 

You can take existing board files in the XIlinx install directory as reference :

<install_dir>/Vivado/<version>/data/boards/board_files/

--Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
Tags (1)
Visitor i_ilias
Visitor

Jump to solution

The appendix gives information but how can I check the syntax to debug my board preset?

The only thing that I see is that the board preset isn't present when there is an invalid parameter in the xml file.

But I haven't find any way to check my manually written xml file...

thanks,