UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar beandigital
Scholar

INIT in memory

I think I already know the answer to this but I will ask it anyway. Is it possible for the INIT contents of a distributed mem to be reset during normal operation. I have a small memory of 19 values that I need to reset to some init values every so often. Having to write those into the mem would take too long so I would like to have them all set in one clk. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: INIT in memory

You can initialize the distributed memory content with asserting reset signal
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Scholar beandigital
Scholar

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

For your information
This true only for distributed memory. For BRAM you need to reconfigure the FPGA or rewrite the locations

Basically BRAM can't be reset with signal reset pulse
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
0 Kudos
Scholar beandigital
Scholar

I have just tried a simulation to verify the distributed memory INIT contents. I can read the values at startup. But if I then write 0 into the locations, read them back out, then reset the memory, I cant read the INIT values any longer.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This is expected behavior Right!
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
0 Kudos
Scholar beandigital
Scholar

No. I want to be able to read the INIT values back from the mem when I do a reset. This is not happening.
0 Kudos
Scholar beandigital
Scholar

I am saying that after a reset the RAM contents are the values that I just wrote. So if I write all 1's into the mem I still get that after a reset. Not the INIT contents.
0 Kudos
Scholar beandigital
Scholar

I am thinking that the distributed RAM cannot be init during normal operation. If I look at the product guide the reset only goes to the output registers.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

yes reset only goes to output registers part of slice
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
0 Kudos
Scholar beandigital
Scholar

So why did you tell me that it would init the memory content?
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Memory content initialize during FPGA configuration and reset with system reset. During normal operation you can only reset the LUT register.
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
0 Kudos