UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

IP Encryption

Highlighted
Voyager

IP Encryption

Hi folks,

I'm (still) using Vivado 2016.4 on Win10-64. I have a licence to run IP encryption (tcl encrypt command). Encryption is working fine but only for P1735 version 2.

Is there a way to encrypt according the P1735 version 1? My third party simulator doesn't support version 2 yet.

Do I need a different license to perform version 1 encryption? I'm getting the message below:

ERROR: [Vivado 12-3330] encrypt 1735: Failed to encrypt ''.W:/EGL0049/Vivado/../IPExport/src/EGL0035_v1_0_0/.temp_UtilitiesPackage.vhd_in: You are not licensed to encrypt IEEE1735 Version 1 [W:/EGL0049/Vivado/../IPExport/src/EGL0035_v1_0_0/.temp_UtilitiesPackage.vhd_in]

Thanks!

Claude

Re: IP Encryption

Hi @chevalier,

Version 2 of encryption is supported on Vivado 2016.3 and later versions. I believe the Version 1 of IEEE-1735 -2014 is supported by Xilinx under limited access program. Hence you would need to contact your local sales office or Field Applications Engineer for more information. Reference (IP Encryption and UG1118 page.82).

--------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the appropriate answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give 'Kudos' to a post which you think is useful and reply oriented.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Xilinx Employee

@chevalier, @prathikm is correct, v1 encryption is supported by Xilinx under limited access program. As such, you need to contact your local FAE for further information on this.

Alternatively, as v2 encryption is working correctly, you could use Vivado Simulator to work around the issue and achieve what you want to achieve.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudos, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voyager

@peadard, @prathikm,

Thanks for your reply. I understand and will try going through the FAE.

We are in the process of releasing some FPGA IPs to the market. As such, we would like our IPs to be encrypted and compatible with the most common third-party simulators. We don't want to restrict our customers to the Vivado simulator.

It's a surprising response though. I mean all the Xilinx IPs under {VIVADO_INSTALL_FOLDER}/data/ip/xilinx are encrypted using v1, and compatible with third-party simulators. Xilinx is making a lot of efforts to pull the community toward IP and IP-reuse with the IP Integrator tool, HLS, SysGen, and the Vivado IP Packager. Encryption is a key feature for third-party IP providers. Xilinx encryption tool shall be inline with third-party tools (either simulators or synthesis).

Do you have any recommendations (or guidelines) for third-party IP providers who would like to package and sell their IPs in such a way that the end-user can simulate it (at least as a black-box)?

Claude

Xilinx Employee

Hi @chevalier,

The UG1118 give some explanation about why xilinx gives only V2 access:

v1.PNG

You might want to ask you FAE about V1 if you think this is needed.

Regards,

Florent

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark an answer "Accept as solution" if a post has the solution to your issue.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voyager

Thanks @florentw!

We did indeed notice that and are trying to get this addressed. The big challenge is that for the past 20 years, we (my FPGA colleagues and I) have never been aware of any Xilinx FAE. We did try going through the sales representative and distributors with no luck. Nobody seems to have time to talk to us... Xilinx sometimes seems to be like the US Government :-) with too much bureaucracy!

Look at this to better understand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk.

So if you can provide some hint as HOW to get in touch with a Xilinx FAE and establish a successful relationship, that would be useful!

Thanks!

Claude

Xilinx Employee

HI @chevalier,

You can start by contacting a Authorized Distributor.

How did you get a license for vivado? You might already have a contact no?

Please mark an answer "Accept as solution" if a post has the solution to your issue.
Voyager

@florentw,

We purchased our licences (and parts) from Avnet. Never received any help from them ever. I mean, not even a reply... Will try again... but with very little hope!

Anyhow, thanks for helping!

Claude