UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISE 12.3 Not Displaying Reports in the Design Summary Window

I have been using ISE 12.3 on a project for some time now without the following problem.  I recently made some changes to the locations of my files (moved files and directories around to tidy things up), then resimulated and remapped to make sure it was all still working.  Almost everything seemed ok, I even got a working bit file, but for some reason the design summary window showed the report files greyed out so that I cannot open them.  Importantly, no "Final Timing Score:" given.  I can see the newly generated .twr and .twx files in my project directory.  I don't get it.  What's the problem?

Cheers,

Nathan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: ISE 12.3 Not Displaying Reports in the Design Summary Window

I've seen something similar in ISE 12.1 where the messages were greyed out, but in that case

the reports were still available.  Of course you can still open the text-based reports using a

text editor:

*.syr - synthesis report (XST)

*.bld - translation (ngdbuild) report

*.mrp - map report

*.par - place & route report

*.twr - Poset P&R timing report, text

*.bgn - BitGen report

I have a feeling that there are some hidden settings saved in either the .gise file

or in the projname_xdb folder that could case the problem you're seeing.  You might

want to back up and clockse the project and then remove these (or move them somewhere

you can retrieve them from later) and then re-open the project from the .xise file

to see if the problem goes away.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for the help, Gabor.  I was aware that I could get the information I was after from the text reports; I was just concerned that ISE was no longer working as it should.

Following your suspicion, I removed all of the non-source, ISE generated files from my project area (including the .gise file, although I don't appear to have a projname_xdb folder) and this has fixed the problem.  Unfortunately, this does not tell me precisely what was causing the problem.  In any case, it's working now.

Thanks again.

Nathan

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

I mentioned the file extensions for the reports because the newer versions of ISE do not

make clear what file they are displaying when using the design summary view.  In my

opinion it was easier to view reports in older versions of the ISE GUI where "view xxx report"

was a process in the design view.  In those versions the report would open in the default

text editor which is generally easier to use for navigating through the file.  Now I have to

open the files manually if I want to see them in my preferred editor rather than the report

viewer.

For me, the loss of the messages in the design summary was more annoying because

I like to quickly look through the filtered messages after a build.  Next time I find them

greyed out I'll try removing the .gise file.

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos